Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I purchased a 1990 Lund rebel the boat has a trim guage ,but…

I purchased a 1990...

I purchased a 1990 Lund rebel the boat has a trim guage ,but no sender on 75hp mariner so i purchased a sender but must be wrong on because the mounting holes won't allow me to have enough adjustment to make gunge work proper is there different senders for different gauges? and how do i know which one i need.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What else should I tell the Marine Mechanic?

The gauge doesn't move until motor is almost completely out of water then moves rather quickly

3/20/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. I will need to know a few things. First I will need to know the serial number on your outboard so I can look that up. I also need to know who makes the trim gauge in the boat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jason my name is Guy.I only have the computer at work to communicate. the part # of sender i purchased is Quick Silver 821400A2.I will have to get serial # tonight when i get home, as far as make of gauge unless it said on face i won't be able to help you unless it says somewhere else on it .It would be one that Lund uses as a factory install for that year 1990 Rebel 17ft. Do you have a phone number I can call toll free to talk with you in person,because i am not very good at typing.If not toll free please give me it also.It is much easier to talk also much quicker!

H​I Guy. Part of the issue is different brands of gauges require different brands of sending units. The quicksilver one may or may not be the correct one for the gauge. There is also no way for me to look up what gauge would have come on a 1990 boat. Boat builders don't keep those kinds of records. You would have to pull the gauge out and see if there are any names or numbers on the back of it. Aside from that, Just get me the serial number and any info you can on the gauge and we will take it from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason i am finishing cleanup now,and getting ready to go home ,won't be able to communicate until tomorrow but will try to get all information you requested so we can solve the petty problem, I'm guessing it the wrong sender.Hopefully i can figure out how to get back in contact with you tomorrow .I will save it and try again . i will wait for your response before i shut down computer.

N​o problem, there are no time limits here, just reply back tomorrow once you are ready and we will take it from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The 75hp Mariner serial #oc123084 and the gauge is a Quick Silver.Does the 1400 in the part # of the sender mean the degree of travel 140 because i seen one with 821800 maybe 180 degree which would give 40 more degrees and solve the needle mystery on the gauge?

Okay I've got the serial number. I had a look at the serial number, and I also had a look at the part number you sent. From what I see, this engine never came with a trim sending unit. On top of that, part number 821400A2​ was only used on select engines from 1999 on up. Did somebody (like a dealership) tell you that this sending unit would work on your engine? Or did you look this all up yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i had just bought the boat may last year noticed while learning the boat that trim gauge wasn't working among other things.So this winter i have been fixing faults.I seen in my manual positioning and adjustment of trim gauge,noticed it was missing so checked out you tube and other sites etc.about the trim then eBay seen quick silver part that looked to be the one that fit bought it thinking i had fixed it to my surprise it worked but not accurately.And here we are.

I ​don't see this engine as ever having a trim gauge. I will opt out and leave your question open to the community.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The part that mounts power trim cylinder to raise the engine has the sender mounting holes casted into it and predrilled and taped for mounting sender already from manufacture for Mariner so there must be a sender application for it somewhere? So your quitting huh?
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** can assist you from here.

The trim sender that you have is for the right side on an engine. There are several models that require it, but from what I can see, the sender on yours is on the left. The actual sender that you need is posted in the attached page. Notice the color difference of the center section. That is how to tell the two apart.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-8M0074846-821180A6-821180A08-Sender/dp/B00AJVYDGM

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks Charles i will order it .Yes my sender mounting spot is on the left side as facing front of boat.I was wondering, and before talking to you, that was the next one i was going to order thinking it was 180 degree adjusting verses the 140 degree on other sender you said is for right.I will give it a try and sell other to recover money thanks,I will let you know of success.

It is not a degrees thing, it is just that one operates backwards to the other.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i see, thanks again.

Your very welcome

Thanks for the update. Reply back here rather than opening a new question. Every one you open that I respond to will be a charge for you. Since we are still on the same topic, no need for that.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
sorry didn't know.Thought monthly subscription was for all the questions i needed to know, if that's the case,and get charged for every question i will be cancelling it ass soon as we have fixed my problem!

Im actually not 100% sure on that one. I had the other question closed anyhow.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Charles , that was more wasted money,pin with slot is not allowing the sender to start at top nor bottom of gauge the needle starts at top of red line and goes backward even when i flip mounting holes with sender,With motor all the way up needle at bottom,down,goes backward then comes back up to same line.

Is the sender wounted with the wires facing down?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no facing the motor on left side i guess it is the drive pin the slot is 10 and 4 position the sender high and low position is at the 12 and 6 no matter which way you mount it it is the same results in order to achieve proper sender alignment i think i would have to drill new screw holes? await your reply

Ok, with the sender off the engine, plug it in and ground the ring terminal to the engine. Watch to see what the gauge does, If it pegs low, turn the center of the sender to adjust it. Get the gauge to where you want it, then install the sender to the engine. Trim down and see if it is now close to 0. The sender just needs adjustment.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
that would work if you could turn the drive peg but it is pin in that position because i tried that if i could move the drive pin to match the sender mount holes it would work.

Just rotate the center of the sender to where it reads correctly. I have had to do this in the shop as well.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
is the drive pin suppose to move in the trim cylinder?because where it needs to be it wouldn't align with slot unless i move drive pin to 12&6 position ,and it look to be pin with sheer pin or spring pin or just seized from age.

It does pivot with the tilt of the engine slightly. You can move that center part of the sender to match how the pin is located.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
i understand that.but in order for the gauge to be right and sender mount holes to be right the drive pin needs to be changed to 12&6 instead of 10&4 or the gauge is in the middle both ways upside wires or downside wires what I'm saying is there isn't enough movement in screws to make the gauge go to the top or bottom it's always in the middle.

That is why you need to adjust the sender. It may be 180* out right now.

The tilt pis is only clocked in one position by that pin. Unless the small pin has snapped off or is missing, the tilt pin does move some. Trim the engine up and down and you will see it.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
that looks exactly like it and the lock pin is parallel to slot for sender it also aligns with it's hole so i don't think it is sherd.But when you align the sender to fit the slot in the pin and the mounting holes the trim gauge needle is in the red start white and when you 180 it it is in the white start red when you put the motor down it goes red past the red beyond readings or 180 white past the white beyond readings not top of white down to bottom of red like it's suppose to. The slot in sender when the gauge is right is 90 degrees from mounting holes not almost parallel to holes like it needs to be

This is with the wires on the sender pointing down right?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
could the sender not have the slot in it positioned right with slot compared with the mounting holes?Made wrong on a Friday or Monday at factory?

That is always a possibility. You are working with the one with the black center section right?

With the engine all the way up, turn the center part so that the gauge reads close to full up. Then see if you mounted it, where the holes would wind up. You may need to turn it slightly to get them aligned. But it is the full down position that is more important for the running of the engine.

How is the gauge wired?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
wired like it it suppose s on sender brown/white purple power on I black ground on ground blue on lights

You are close to having it, it is just a fine tweek between the sender and the engine.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will play with it over weekend and talk to you next week hopefully with good news, Happy Easter & God Bless.

Happy Easter to you as well.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
well Charles, when Jason said that according to serial number it never came with a trim sender.I guess they must have done it for a reason.No matter what i did nothing i did would make the sender and the gauge correlate.So after hours of trying to make the one you suggested work,i took the other one which everything was much closer according to the sender i was out of adjustment because the holes weren't long enough.I made a mounting plate that slipped over the round part of sender drilled holes to match the motor frame to squash it against sender and frame now i need to grind off the mounting housing more to get more adjustment because they hit not allowing enough movement.So it kind of redneck but I believe it just might work.If not i guess it will not have trim gauge like originally. Thank for your time.O just answer emailed me a apology for not being able to solve my problem,thought that was kind of ironic!

Thanks for the explantation. I think that the site sends out that email when one of us opts out from a question. If this engine never came with the option for the sender, why are those holes there?

the only thing that I can see in the diagrams is that it is possible that you may have the tilt pin from the manual tilt in there and not the one for the power trim. And perhaps there is a difference between them as to where the slot is in relation to the hole for the tri-lobe pin that holds it in place.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
do you have a picture of the manual tilt pin to compare with power trim pin that you sent me because that is what i was trying to explain to you last week that the slot was in wrong position.

Guess i should have looked first, they are the same part number, even though on one page it says not for power trim use... Go figure.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
o well it was a shot in the dark. And you are right why are the mounting hole there? Unless the part i bought from eBay used with the same part number as you gave me was faulty in that respect .I bought it because it was 1/2 price of one you sent me. Do you have a picture of the slot position on the part number you sent? mine is positioned with tang is about 12:00 and 6;00 from holes compared to pin which slot and securing pin are parallel and10:00an 4;00 to mounting holes which are 9:00 and 3:00.

The slot should be inline with the pin that holds it in.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
it is! I was wondering about the trim sender it's self?I explained what the used one i purchased was positioned like in last message. I thought that maybe the lug was in wrong place that is why it was for sale?I didn't buy a new one because it was twice the price of guarantied used one.

Those center pieces can be twisted around. I have had to "fine tune" even new ones from the package. I dont think that there is a set place to put them from the plant.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I was wondering?Because where it was set when it arrived and where i had to move it to get it to bolt up put the needle 1/2 way on trim gauge and moved from half way beyond bottom and back, to half way beyond top and back.when i 180 it.At least the first sender moved top to bottom on gauge just wouldn't move off bottom until motor was out of the water.with the plastic plate i made i can rotate it to make it move more on the bottom end.

Which trim gauge did you get?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
quicksilver part#821400A2

that is the sender, what about the gauge?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
quicksilver as well

As long as it did not say it was for an Evinrude, it will work. At least you have it working now.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
well almost,just some grinding and adjusting,had to charge battery,I ran it dead going up an down up and down etc. Hopefully.if not should have thought it would have.Back to no gauge, don't really need to get up on plane anyway,just thought it would be nice to have all the gauges working.But not a big deal.

The gauge is nice, but I still look ton see where it is.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
well it's all new to me anyway before i purchased the boat last spring i used a 12ft aluminum row boat, float tubes rode with friends with motor boats.Don't really need trim gauge on row boat!Just learning the tricks of getting boat up out of water and on plane anyway.

Well there is a trim gauge on the row boat. It is just your arms and body leaning.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I guess you are correct.Maybe that is why it is so hard to get boat up on plan!Gauge is out of adjustment?Will have to look into that.

Make sure that the engine is all the way down visually before taking off, that should help you getting onto plane.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
ok

Hope that helps

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic