Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I think I'm having the same problem as last time I got in…

Hey Jason,I think I'm having...
Hey Jason,I think I'm having the same problem as last time I got in touch with you. This time I took the boat out, started great, ran fine out to the fishing spot. Got the rough idle (really seems to be missing), shut it down, and it would not restart. Engine is still in a no-start condition. I've changed the cap and rotor, spark plugs, and wires. When I pulled a plug and turned the engine over, no spark. I'm thinking replace the coil?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello. Jason here. I read what you wrote. Are you able to check and see if the engine has fuel pressure and spark output? (Do you have a fuel pressure gauge and timing light?)

I have a fuel pressure gauge, I can check that. I don't have a timing light.. when I said it had no spark, I pulled a plug, grounded it, and turned the engine over and didn't see any spark.

Do you have a digital volt/ohm meter in order to test the coil?

I do have a digital volt/ohm meter. how would I use that to test the coil. I also have a spare coil.
How do I test for spark without a timing light (or with a timing light for that matter)?

Really the correct way to test for spark output is to hook up a timing light to each plug wire. Crank the engine over, and see if the timing light flashes or not. If there is no flash, there is no spark. If there is flash, there is spark. Click this link for a picture, this is how to test the coil. Test yours and let me know how you make out - https://imgur.com/a/6DXUt

might be easier to just replace it and test that. Looks like only two bolts and then the two harnesses
It's corroded AF anyway.

Okay I see it. There actually isn't any kind of tests to do on that coil itself. To be perfectly honest this really isn't something I am doing to be able to help you out with as there is no way to test this ignition system without a scan tool. Even I can't troubleshoot this without without a scan tool.

Ok. well, I'll switch out the coil with the new one and see how that goes.

That's all you can really do.

CAn you help me with one more thing since this one was easy peasy?
Coming home on the kicker with no power steering, I heard the teleflex cable cracking, and when the steering is under heavy load it slips. Do I order new cables, a whole new mechanism?

Wow, glad to hear it. You got lucky on that. Every time those engines do not have spark you always need to scan tool to troubleshoot the issue.

On your steering. Do you happen to know which type of steering you have? There is rack and pinion and there is rotary. Click this link for a picture - https://imgur.com/a/PoNon

Rotary (teleflex). I see written right on the teleflex helm that you aren't supposed to take them apart.

Y​ou are really not supposed to take them apart. For years and years you could only buy the helm unit and the cable as a set. Recently they started selling them individually. Really what you want to do is replace both the helm unit and the cable as a matched set as well. The cables and the helms basically wear and tear eachother out. What you would want to use for a replacement is what is called a rotary no feedback style system. Click this link, this is it - https://www.amazon.com/SeaStar-SS147xx-Feedback-Steering-Connect/dp/B003L4ASRC If you look at your existing cable, there should be a part number stamped on that cable every couple of feet. On that part number, the last 2 numbers are the cable length. For example, if your cable says something like SCC1185718, it would be an 18 foot long cable. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

ok cable.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic