Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Was looking for the right plug wires for a mercury classic…

Was looking for the...

Was looking for the right plug wires for a mercury classic 50 45hp I believe it is a 1988 motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I am just getting it ready to start it up for spring fishing and this boat is new to me so I don't know when or if plug wires were ever changed, also going to put in new spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not at the moment

3/20/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you have the serial number for the engine?

I do not, where on the engine would it be located, It is after dark here now....

It is on the right side of the swivel tube. I am researching the engine model now.

Here is the part number for the wires, and a link on where to get them.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/244503.cfm

For the spark plugs you will want NGK BUHW-2.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
I saw those plugs with a "Z" for shielded, are those better, some posts on internet suggest reduced interference with motor.

The Z series plugs do reduce electrical interference on the engine and with any boat electronics, ans are worth the extra cost. then it is BUZHW-2