Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have 2016 4 Stroke 150 Yamaha ob. I bought the boat new…

Customer Question
I have 2016 4...

I have 2016 4 Stroke 150 Yamaha ob. I bought the boat new two years ago and have had no issues with the motor until this last Sunday when I noticed that when I lower the motor it rubs/hit the the mount on one side of the motor mount. I can see that the right side hits and the left side has more clearance. I don’t want to lower the motor to a normal position with some fear of damaging the motor. The dealer I bought the boat from has a horrible shop where I still have warranty on the boat. They take forever to service the boat. I had an electrical issue with the trailer when I bought the boat I had to show them with a meter myself that the trailer was wired hot. They blamed me for the trailer wiring until they followed me to the parking where I showed them with a meter that the trailer was the issue and not my truck( new 2016 F150. Is this an easy fix or should I bring it back to these hacks and not get the boat back for a month? Help, walleye season is hot here in Michigan! Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

No. This is the only problem I have with the motor. Don’t get me started again with the rest of the boat(lol). Thanks for your help. I could send a picture if that helps

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 3 days by:
3/23/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 29 days ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assist you with your question regarding your Yamaha. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, It took me a bit to get a straight answer from Yamaha.

The things that you need to look at are for excess slack in the tilt tube.To do this, trim the engine so that it is clear of the transom brackets, then grasp the lower unit and try to move it from side to side. Any flexing noticed in the tilt tube area will indicate either that it is loose, it there is wear in the tube and passages for it.

One other thing to look at is the engine mounting bolts. Make sure that all 4 are still tight and that there is also not any weakness in the transom.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic