Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I purchased a 2004 Sylvan deckboat with a Volvo Penta 5.0…

Customer Question
I purchased a 2004 Sylvan...
I purchased a 2004 Sylvan deckboat with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi-E motor. It is experiencing two problems. 1) It seems to be flooded when starting it for the first time of the day. Position the throttle to wide-open and then crank it and it starts right up and runs well.
2) When throttling back from 1000 RPM to about 850 (i.e. approaching the dock) the motor typically dies. It will start right back up.The fuel cell and the rail pressure regulator had been replaced due to black painting clogging the pump(s). Rail pressure holds steady around 51 PSI.Any thoughts?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
3/19/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. On your fuel pressure, if you cycle the key a few times, but don't actually start the engine, will the fuel pressure hold at 50+ PSI for 10 or 15 minutes, or will it drop down?

I will check and let you know. Are you thinking one of the injectors may be leaking?
Forgot to mention my name is William.

Hi William. W​ell,.... I'm thinking 4 different things right now, with leaking injectors being one of those things.

W​ere you checking now and going to get back to me or..?

I'll get back to you. The boat is 15-20 minutes away.
Anything else to check while I'm there?

Can you check the engine compression?

Sorry, but I don't have a compression tester. The engine runs extremely smooth and steady.
It shows no signs of oil consumption.

I'm not concerned with oil consumption, i'm concerned with the engine having a leaking intake valve, which can cause the issue. Basically there are 5 things that would cause that kind of symptom. 1. Leaking injectors 2. bad intake valve 3. bad TPS 4. Bad/Sticking IAC 5. Incorrectly reporting temp sensor. You can check #1 with a fuel pressure gauge. #2 with either a compression tester or a leakdown tester. #'s 3, 4 and 5 you need a scan tool to check.

Here is the data on the fuel rail pressure:Test 1 Test 2 Test 3
Elapsed Time PSI Elapsed Time PSI Elapsed Time PSI
0:00 51 0:00 51 0:00 51
0:34 50 0:31 50 0:36 50
5:34 48 4:25 48 4:33 48
Let me try that again.Test 1
Time--PSI
0:00---51
0:34---50
5:34---48Test 2
Time--PSI
0:00---51
0:31---50
4:25---48Test 3
Time--PSI
0:00---51
0:36---50
4:33---48

T​hat looks fine to me. What were you looking to do here? Were you looking to just have a conversation about the problem? Or were you actually trying to fix it with my help?

The goal is to isolate the cause of it being flooded after being shut off awhile and the why it is dying on throttle back. I can do the mechanic work, but I'm looking for you to do the diagnostic work.
AutoZone says they have a compression tester which I can use. I will stop by there tomorrow and then do a compression check on each cylinder.

W​ell... I can't do diagnostics work without diagnostic results from tools. If I could i would not have spent thousands of dollars on tools myself. Right now you need a compression gauge and a scan tool if you want to continue. Are you able to buy those tools? Do you want to spend the money on them and continue, or do you want to call it quits and just take it in?

You're right. It doesn't make sense for me to buy an expensive scan tool for one diagnosis and if the issue is a bad intake valve then the boat is going to the local mechanic anyway. I could do a hit-or-miss attempt on the IAC and/or TPS, though. The cost on those two parts is fairly cheap. Which of the two would you bet on?

H​ello and sorry for the delay. When you last replied last night I had already logged off for the evening. Between the two, the IAC or TPS. The TPS would be the more likely of the two.