Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My boat motor won't start after getting to a spot in the…

Customer Question
My boat motor won't...

My boat motor won't start after getting to a spot in the water. It will take quite some time for it to start again. I have changed the spark plugs, ignition coils, and ignition coil cables. Now I am looking at changing the solenoids. I just wanted a third or fourth opinion before I buy any unnecessary

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Parts

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
3/19/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. Which engines are in your boat specifically?

I​t looks like you read my response and left without ever replying back. Did you still need help with this?

i still need help with this
I can't seem to find the model number to the motor, but it is a johnson VRO 110 hp.
outboard. with Fuel injection.

Johnson never made a 110 horsepower engine that was fuel injected. What year do you think this engine is?

110HP
J110MLCEM
J110TLAEM
J110TLCEM
J110TXCEM
TJ110TLCEM
TJ110TXCEMit's one of these models.
this is the issue i'm having
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?83911-RUNS-GREAT-THEN-WONT-START-AFTER-SHUTTING-OFF

Okay those engines are all carbureted engines, and not fuel injected engines. I have a question back to you. When the engine will not start, did you check to see if there was or was not spark output?

I was not able to cause I was stuck in the middle of the lake. I've changed out the solenoid, spark plugs, ignition coils and ignition coil cables.

H​ow do you want to do this, can you duplicate the problem, check for spark, and then get back to me afterwards? Basically we have to start by seeing if this is a spark related problem or not, and right now you/we don't know.

how can i check to see if there's a spark when i crank the engine? take the spark plug out of its chamber and check for spark?

N​o, that wouldn't be the correct way to do it. The correct way to do it is to hook up a timing light to the plug wires, crank the engine over, and see if the timing light flashes or not. If the light flashes, then there is spark, if the light does not flash, then there isn't spark. Can you check that and get back to me?

ok

Okay let me know how you make out, and we will take it from there.