Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2007 Mercury optimax 6 stroke engine on my tracker…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Mercury...
I have a 2007 Mercury optimax 6 stroke engine on my tracker boat and this weekend I let the oil run low and it shut my forward progress down to idle, thankfully i could get back to the trailer. After I filled the reservoir with oil, (under an hour) i tried to get the boat to go forward and it was chirping and burping and would not go forward. Need some help as I am a dumbass when it comes to marine engines.... Just inherited the boat. Thank you for any help...
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
3/19/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What you will need to do is to purge the oil tank on the engine. With the engine connected to a water supply, remove the hood, locate the oil tank on the engine. Loosen the cap on it some. Start the water flow, then the engine. Allow it to idle until the tank on the engine is totally full. Some oil may spill out of it when it gets there. Close the cap on the tank, then stop the engine. This will take care of the alarm and the loss of power.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks Charlie, I did what you said. If you put the engine in gear with it hooked up to water source will you know if it will throttle or is that a bad idea?

That is really not a good idea. You will not have enough water pressure or a load on the engine. If there is not any more alarm going off at idle, it should not be there when you throttle up either, unless the alarm is with a different system on the engine.

Thanks Charlie, I let it idle with a loose cap for 5 minutes and no alarm. It was full and didn’t flow out so I’ll take it on the water tomorrow and see. Anything else you recommend and thanks brother! Cary

Just make sure that the engine tank is full to the top. That is where the alarm is connected.