Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2001 yamaha 115. I had the water muffs on it today…

I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 yamaha 115. I had the water muffs on it today after changing plugs. It started right up but I noticed there was water coming from two small holes above the cavitation plate. The water was also coming out of the Pe hole just fine. Any concerns?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not at this time.

3/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What you are seeing is normal. The engines exhaust system is in the middle section portion of the outboard. When the engine runs, 99% of all of the cooling water that runs through the engine leaves via the exhaust system (about 1% of the cooling water leaves via the pee hole). If you were to pull the lower unit off of the outboard, what you would see is that it's wide open in there. So while the exhaust gases, and exhaust water, does come out of the propeller, some water will pool up on the top of the inside of the lower unit, and that water drains out of those small holes. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

My name is***** a concern as i had not noticed it before.
It does make sense after looking at a mechanical print of the lower unit.
Thank you for the response.

Y​ou are very welcome Larry and I was glad I could help. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, please let me know if you run into any problems when trying to select a rating for my service. Happy boating! -Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Will do, and thanks again.