Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Rectifier problem. electrical connection between rectifier…

Rectifier problem. Burnt electrical...

Rectifier problem. Burnt electrical connection between rectifier and magneto. Need help figuring out what the underlying problem is. Is the rectifier or the magneto.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I can send photos.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not really

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Gail, my name is***** read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What engine are you asking about specifically?

My name is***** is my wife. I have twin Suzuki DF140 engines.

H​I Lance. Okay got it. (Sorry for the confusion, the name on the account said Gail) Was this a 1 time event or has the regulator burned out more than once?

I​ see the pictures. On the 2nd one, is that green corrosion I see on the connector yellow wire?

One time event. Looks to have happened suddenly when I started the engine a few days ago. The middle circuit connector (gray one in first photo) appears to have melted. Second photo shows metal connectors after I removed the melted plastic shroud.
I guess the green is a little corrosion you can see on the connector.

On your battery, do you have wingnuts or stainless steel nylon locknuts? Is there any kind of battery switch on the boat, or does the engine connect directly to the battery?

Looks like a short circuit at the connector but could it be more than that?
Just sent a couple more photos of my battery and isolator switch.
B944E064-C9B9-4A7A-A052...jpegB944E0...jpeg744D9E2C-D221-47AC-B9B1...jpeg744D9E...jpeg4FCB60EC-96C8-4B9A-A14E...jpeg4FCB60...jpeg81D2260C-3696-4BB0-89C2...jpeg81D226...jpeg
Engine only sees electrical power when infliction switch is turned on. Normally engines are left with ignition switch off and isolator switch turned to “off” whenever boat siting on the trailer in my driveway.

W​ell... Ultimately it's corrosion that causes the burning. There should never be any corrosion in any electrical circuit. I can already see there is some corrosion on the yellow wire, and a little more on another connector. Click this link, this is your same picture, but I circled some corrosion in red - https://imgur.com/a/Xt2AH.

Corrosion in an electrical circuit behaves like an electrical resistor. A resistor will take voltage and turn it into heat. If there is enough current (amperes) in that voltage, it will also take that voltage and turn it into both heat and light (Like a light bulb, a light bulb filament is an electrical resistor). What you would need to do (or have done) is clean up any corrosion on the cables. You want to have a look at your battery cables as well, and see if there is corrosion on the end terminals. If there is corrosion there as well, that would need to be cleaned up, or the cables replaced. If there are battery switches in the boat, those need to be checked for corrosion as well.

EDIT - I just saw your second set of pictures. I can also see corrosion on both battery terminals. That corrosion needs to be taken care of as well. You also want to pull that battery switch out and see if there is corrosion on the back side of it. Corrosion is the cause of the burnt up wires. Make sure you clean it all up. Install a new regulator. Run the engine, and then once you run it for a bit, you want to run your hands up and down both the battery cables as well as those cables on the motor and you want to feel for heat. It is okay if the wires get to be 10 to 15F degrees above ambient temperature, that would be fine. However none of the wires should ever feel hot. If you feel hot wiring, that wiring has corrosion inside of it, and the corrosion is turning voltage into heat. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Was there anything else?

Jason, thanks. Yes I understand your response. I am a civil engineer and understands the basics of current, resistance and voltage drop in electrical circuits. Your answer makes sense. I guess I will need to buy a new magneto and rectifier as the electrical connectors making up the connection have leads hard word into each of these components. Looks like an expensive little issue to fix this n terms of parts. I will also clean up the terminals and look for corrosion elsewhere in the engine. Thanks for your help. I’ll follow the instructions on the website and put in a good review for you.
No that’s it Jason thanks.

I wouldn't buy a new magneto, chances are it's still good. To be honest there is a 50/50 chance the regulator is alright as well. I would strip the wiring back, make sure the wiring is clean, and then reconnect everthing with either bullet or butt connectors and see what happens. It's either going to charge the battery or it's not. If it doesn't, obviously check the fuses first. But if those are okay, then you can replace the regulator.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Great suggestion Jason. Yes I will try that first. I’m hopeful this will work.