Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Cranked Westerbeke 5.0 excessively and engine seems to be…

Cranked Westerbeke 5.0 excessively...

Cranked Westerbeke 5.0 excessively and engine seems to be locked up from perhaps too much raw water going into system. Where does it go and how do I relieve the pressure so engine will turn again?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I just did that'

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What is the full and complete model number on your Westerbeke as it reads on the ID tags?

I am not at the generator. It is a 5.0 diesel probably 2001 year model.

I​f it's a diesel, and you have water in the cylinders, the only way to get it out is going to be to pull the injectors, crank the engine over, and any water will blow out of the holes that the injectors go into. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

I just installed a new raw water pump assy and introduced water into the pump so as not to tear up the impeller. Could anything with the new pump have locked it up?

N​o, that wouldn't do anything. The only way water would get into the cylinders is if the engine misfired during this excessive cranking, and started to run backwards. It only has to turn backwards for a revolution or two to suck water in through the exhaust valves. Does that make sense.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Could it have gotten in there by me hooking a garden hose to the raw water pump and turning it on before cranking?
Phone call session started