Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am buyiny my first boat andconsidering buying a 2018 MX23…

I am buyiny my...

I am buyiny my first boat andconsidering buying a 2018 MX23 R StarCraft tritoon and want to understand the difference between hydraulic and power steering?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Don't have anything to add

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

I want my wife to be comfortable driving the boat.

3/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? On this style boat they are more or less going to be very very similar. Hydraulic steering consists of 3 parts. You have a helm pump, which is the hydraulic pump that the steering wheel is attached to. You have a steering cylinder, which is attached to the outboard. And you have hydraulic lines that connect the two together. The helm pump pushes and pulls hydraulic fluid to the steering cylinder in order to turn the outboard left to right. Power steering has all of the same parts, however, there is also a power steering pump that is attached to the system. This pump goes inline with the hydraulic lines. This pump is an electric pump, and it draws off the battery. This pump provides a power assist at mid to high speeds. There are pro's and con's to each. The cons are the expense, and it is going to be less reliable overall. If you are looking at this boat with Mercury engines, Mercury has their own power steering pumps, and they run about 2 grand. If you are looking at Yamaha engines, the dealer/boat builder will likely use a SeaStar brand of power steering pump. Click this link, this is it - https://www.amazon.com/SeaStar-Volt-Power-Assist-PA1200-2/dp/B003HFUOXS. These pumps do not last forever, and the typical life span on them is 5 or 6 years before they crap out. Once they do crap out, you are looking at a few thousand in parts and labor to replace the pump. Basic hydraulic steering should last the life of the boat (15-20 years). That being said, I obviously don't know your situation. If you have money to burn then by all means add the power steering, it's a nice comfort. However if you are on a budget, or if you want your wife to try the boat without the power steering, or if you just want to think about it. The power steering can always be added on later on down the road. You might want to talk to your dealer about the costs of installing a power steering unit now vs adding one down the road. It might be the same exact price, or the dealer might charge you a little extra. That's just one of those things that is going to vary dealer by dealer. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic