Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Honda Aquatrax FX12 2004. No power to anything, like battery…

Honda Aquatrax FX12 2004...

Honda Aquatrax FX12 2004. No power to anything, like battery is no connected. Battery checks 12+ volts. Replaced main relay. Still no power. Don't have a wiring diagram, cant find one online. So what is the path the power takes and where should I check to see if that point is getting power?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have power to main 30 amp fuse. Have power on red/white wire to grey connector connecting to into main relay. Haven't been able to detect anything coming out of main relay at the grey connector - neither new or old main relay. Where do I go from here?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have power to main 30 amp fuse. Have power on red/white wire to grey connector connecting to into main relay. Haven't been able to detect anything coming out of main relay at the grey connector - neither new or old main relay. Do NOT have power to any of the fuses, except main 30amp. Does perhaps lanyard need to be inserted to get power to other fuses? Where do I go from here?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just tested with lanyard in. Still no power to any fuses except main 30 amp fuse.
3/19/2018
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Mechanic

The red/white wire also powers the 5 amp ignition fuse. It sounds like there is a break in the wire powering that side of the fuse. You can confirm that by using a jumper wire between the main 30 amp fuse and the 5 amp ignition fuse. If the ignition powers up when the lanyard is inserted then you have confirmed the source of the problem.

Please leave a five star rating so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can return at any time and add a reply if you need more help with this problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have power at the 5amp ignition fuse, but none of the other fuses. Inserted lanyard ..... nothing. What is the next point to test?

Power from the ignition goes to the lanyard switch. The easiest way to check it is to open the switch housing and use wire piercing probes on a multimeter to check for power in to the switch switch on the red/white wire. There should be power out from the switch at the black wire when the lanyard is inserted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have power out of the lanyard switch on black wire when lanyard is inserted. What is the next point to check? Or perhaps you should give me the next couple steps to save some time.

You have a unique problem that I have never seen before so I cannot give you multiple tests. It could be a problem with the ground side of the system. To eliminate that locate the main wire harness ground with a green wire and ring terminal bolted to the left rear of the the engine cylinder head. Try using a jumper wire between that terminal and the negative post of the battery. Insert the lanyard and see if the system powers up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jumped from green ground on cylinder head to battery negative, inserted lanyard - no change. Removed and cleaned ground, reinstalled. Still no power. Also, on previous step when I tested for power out of switch on black wire, using multimeter I jumped from black wire to engine block and saw 12.02V. So it appears ground is OK. Also, I have 2 aquatrax, both the same year and model. Other one is working fine. It would be available to swap parts, if necessary. What do you recommend next? Thanks for your persistence, please stick with me on this one a while longer.

Check for power to the red/blue wire of the main relay. This wire is on the 5 amp ignition fuse so it should also have power at all times.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
have power on red-blue wire into main relay. Also have power on larger red-white wire into main relay. Questions: where does the black wire out of the ignition/lanyard switch go -- to the dash cluster? What should we see coming out of the main relay?

Black wire out of the lanyard goes to a junction with multiple red/blue wires out to the main relay, dash, warning buzzer and ecu.

The light green/black wire from the main relay goes to the dash. The manual shows only a connection but none of the internal wiring of the dash. This wire has to be the ground side for the coil portion of the relay as all of the other main relay wires are power wires. Try unplugging the main relay connector and check for continuity between the light green/black wire and ground on the harness side of the connector.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was not able to perform your latest recommended test today. Will do test tomorrow morning.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I spent the morning disassembling and exposing the dash and now have easy access to the connector at the dash.Continuity on the lt.green-black wire from the harness side of the main relay connector to the connector at the dash is fine – measures 0.The black wire out of the lanyard switch goes to a connector, changes to red-lt. blue then goes to the wiring harness so I don’t know for sure where it goes. But, there IS power (lanyard in only) on a red-lt. blue wire at the point it connects to the dash - assumed to be the same red-lt blue wire. There is also constant power (lanyard in or out) on a red-green wire at the connector to the dash. Yet, the dash does not “light up” with lanyard inserted.Another thought: There is a splitter/junction type connector at the rear of the waverunner mounted to the sidewall. It has 5 red-black wires. I believe (can’t tell for sure, they are bundled in the wiring harness) 1 is power in and the other 4 go out to the 4 fuses (not ign fuse). There is no power on any of the red-black wires. When I jump power from battery to what I believe is the power in red-black wire, the fuel pump makes noise with a couple other clicks from elsewhere. Red-black appears to receive power from the main relay connecter, coming from a larger red wire on the main relay side of the connector. Is this correct?So what do you suggest next?Please stick with me on this problem, I think we are narrowing it down. Thanks again.

The red/black are the power for the other fuses coming off of the main relay when it switches on. By using a jumper you are confirming that portion of the circuit is good. Going back to my previous recommendation you need to check the light green/black from the main relay to the dash. When this side of the relay grounds it sends power out the red/black wire to power the fuses. I think this is the problem. Try cutting the light green/black in a place where it is accessible to repair it later. Insert the lanyard and see if there is power to the relay side of the light green/black. If yes then the internal wiring of the relay is ok. Next use a jumper wire between the same wire you just tested and momentarily touch it to ground. The fuel pump should come on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Success !!! I did not cut the green-black wire but instead inserted a probe through the wire. There is power on the green-black wire regardless if lanyard is in or out. Connecting probe to ground, the fuel pump comes on for about 3-4 seconds as you predicted.Does this mean the dash is not properly functioning - i.e. not powering up and thus not grounding the green-black wire?

Well that confirms it is a ground problem. Check the light green/black wire that goes directly into the dash for power as close to the dash as possible. If good then check the ground side of the dash on the green wire by inserting a wire piercing probe as close to the dash as possible then use a jumper wire between it and ground. Insert the lanyard and see if everything powers up.

TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was able to insert the probe into the green-black wire about 2 inches from the circuit board of the dash. Has power. When jumped from probe to ground, fuel pump comes on for about 3-4 seconds, inserted lanyard -- nothing changes on the dash, does not power up.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I haven't received your response on the last test results I provided a couple days ago. They are below. Is there a problem? In good faith, I authorized payment, even though we haven't resolved the problem yet.I was able to insert the probe into the green-black wire about 2 inches from the circuit board of the dash. Has power. When jumped from probe to ground, fuel pump comes on for about 3-4 seconds, inserted lanyard -- nothing changes on the dash, does not power up.
TIMOTO
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Mechanic