Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2004 mercury 225 optimax that i just replaced the…

I have a 2004 mercury...
I have a 2004 mercury 225 optimax that i just replaced the water pump impeller and housing and all gaskets and seals and now it wont pump any water out of the pee hole. Ive tried hooking up the hose to the flush port and it will pee out like that so i know the line isnt clogged. Whats going on?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Are you running it on a hose or in the water?

on a hose and i do have a low water pickup but im taping it off and ive also ran it in a bucket and with ears at the same time and still no luck

When you installed the new water pump, did you place the plastic guide onto the outlet of the housing?

Are you getting any steam or anything from the tale-tell?

i did place the guide on and im getting now water stream at all. not a drop
im getting no water at all through the tale-tell

Ok, was there allot of debris on the old pump?

Have you removed the screen that sends water to the air compressor to make sure it is clean?

no i have not done that. where is that located?

It is on the left hand side of the block. It is best reached by removing the lower pans. You can find it by following the hose that comes from the bottom of the left fuel rail. It is a plastic filter that the water for the air compressor, and the tale-tell goes thru. If this is blocked, you will not get a stream, even if the block is getting good water flow and is not overheating.

This filter can be removed and cleaned out, then reinserted.

do you have a diagram of this?

Funny, I was just about to send that.

how do i remove the lower cowling?
the pans

There are 4 bolts that hold them on. One in the front, one under them by the steering arm. One at the very back, then there is also a plug on the left side of the bottom one. Remove this plug and you can get to the bottom bolt there.

Part 5 shows the bolt. They are 5/16" heads.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/225%20%28DFI%29%203.0L/0T801000%20THRU%201B417701/Bottom%20Cowl/parts.html

i tried this but the front wont budge off

did you get all 4 bolts out? If so, take up the top gasket half way around. Then you will need to pull rather hard starting at the front. If they have never been off, they are just stuck on the rubber seal for the bottom of them.

would it be safe to run the engine for a short time to see if the water pumps out of the water filter that i just took out? will this let me see if the water pump is working or not?
like would running it with the filter in be ok for a second
filter off i mean

Yes, I do this in the shop to flush out the passages. Just only about 30 seconds or so.

ok cool ill let you know if it works

Great. I should be here. If Im not, I will reply as soon as I log back on.

water did pump out of the port where the filter goes when i started it. how much water should come out of the port tho? its not coming out like a water hose.
its low pressure coming out
like a stream

It will be a stream, Only about 3 PSI from the pump.

Was the filter clean?

With it out, connect the hose to the flush port and back flush that part of the system and see if any debris comes from the hose.

there was a decent amount of sludge in it. are you saying to connect the garden hose or the filters hose?
are you saying to connect to the port beside the pee hole?

It would be best if you could back flush the tale-tell hose. May need to just hold the hose up against it with the water on to blow it out. Or use compressed air if you have it.

should i take the filter off the hose before doing this?

Yes. The filter end of the hose needs to be open to dump anything out that may be in it.

i left the hose on when i took the filter off because people where saying that i need special mercury zip ties. Is this true? would regular zip ties be ok?
because i would have to cut the zip tie to take the filter off the hose

Regular ones will work in a pinch. The ones from Mercury are just curved on the end. If you can find those in an auto parts store, those would be better than the flat ones.

oh gotcha alright ill let you know what happens

Sounds good.

Notice how it is curved where the free end goes thru. That is what you would be looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mercruiser-54-816311T-Cable-Tie-Fuel/dp/B0078O9V38

just to confirm your saying to remove the hose from the tale tell and blow air or water up through the tell tale hose

Yes that is correct. Or you can go thru the tale-tell nozzle to make sure that it is clear as well.

it fixed it! works great now! do you know the torque for the powerhead bolts that are right infront of the tale tell?

Holding the powerhead to the mid-housing?

there is water dripping out of the seal around that area. the bolt were loss

It is 50 FtLbs.

why would water be leaking out around the seal of the power head?
alright do you know if there is supposed to be washers on the lower unit fill and drain screws or are they just screws?

There should be a washer on each. Either a blue felt one, or a yellow rubber one.

Part 11

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/225%20%28DFI%29%203.0L/0T801000%20THRU%201B417701/Gear%20Housing%28Driveshaft%29%28Standard-Counter%20Rotation%29/parts.html

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Ok great thank you! Does it effect anything if there is alittle bit of water coming out of the seal between the mid section and the block?

Only if the cowling fills up with water and shorts out the coils.

It can since it is exhaust, choke out the engine due to lack of oxygen.

But if its just a small drip that comes out and immediately flushes out the engine then it should be ok?

That should be ok.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Ok great thank you for all your help!