Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

How do you remove the plastic shroud from the shaft of a…

Customer Question
How do you remove...

How do you remove the plastic shroud from the shaft of a Yamaha 2004 150 4 stroke?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The drain plug in the oilpan got stripped and I am trying to get better access to the drain plug area and possibly have it drilled and re-tapped. Is this the best fix for this problem or can you suggest something else?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

That's about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
3/18/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can I get the actual model number as it reads on the ID tag.

where is the id tag? my name is john
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago

H​I John. It's on the clamp bracket portion of the outboard. The model number will start with F150 and have more letters after that.

ok i'll get it and write back

Okay just post back when you have it, and we will go from there.

Hi Jason I still don't see an answer from you or maybe I can't find it. Could you send it? Thanks John

H​I John. There reason why there is no answer is because I never got a model number from you. On March 23'rd you wrote that you would get the model number and write back to me.... This is the first time I've heard from you since then. I still do not know what your engine model is.

f150txrd

A​lright, got it. You should have some access to the drain plug hole. How bad are the threads? Do you think you can save them by running a tap back up the hole and restoring the threads, or are they totally chewed out?

ok Jason there are 3 sets of #s on the bracket on the top line is f150txrd below that is 63p on the left and x1024566 on the right thanks john

H​ey John. I got your model number. I do not know if you saw my last reply or not. Just in case you did not, what I wrote was "A​lright, got it. You should have some access to the drain plug hole. How bad are the threads? Do you think you can save them by running a tap back up the hole and restoring the threads, or are they totally chewed out?"

The reason I wrote that is because in order to pull that lower plastic cover off, the powerhead/engine block needs to come off first. It all comes part from the top up. If there is another way to repair this plug without having to do all that it would be better.

Hi Jason, it still threads in there but it leaks. It is kind of hard to get to inside that little rubber tube. But if the whole motor has to come apart to get better access then I guess I'll have to try to deal with it. One fella suggested cleaning it up real good with carbeurator cleaner and using epoxo 88 2 part epoxy on it when I put it back in. Also possibly leaving the washer out to give it more threads to bite on. What do you think?

What I would personally do first is drain all the oil out, and then let it sit overnight so that all of the oil is out of the engine. After that, either get a new washer, or just flip the existing one upside down. Then, liberally coat the threads of the plug with a produce called "Perfect Seal". You can get this sealer from any Mercury Marine dealer. Click this link, this is the stuff - https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Quicksilver-Perfect-Compound-93-34227Q02/dp/B007I8YFZS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522869961&sr=8-4&keywords=perfect+seal#customerReviews

If you do not have a Mercury dealer nearby. You can go to an auto parts store and get something called Permetex Aviation Sealer. It is the same stuff as the perfect seal. The perfect seal will seal up the threads, but, it will still allow you to remove the plug later if you need to. Plus, it is oil proof, so there is no problems with oil getting on it. Epoxy would be permanent and it very well might not work because the oil can break the epoxy down if it's not the correct type, where as the perfect seal is compatible with oil, and is not permanent. I would give that a shot next. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Hi John. Just checking in. No rating was ever selected for my service, and I was never paid for my time. Did you have any further questions on the issue? -Jason