Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2004 J90PLSRR- when in gear, when the motor is

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2004...
Hi, I have a 2004 Johnson J90PLSRR- when in gear, when the motor is running around 1000-1300 RPM the hot warning alarm will come on in water. If I reduce to idle, the warning will go off. When the motor is running at higher rpm, 2000+ the alarm never goes off and it appears to run fine. I'm thinking maybe a stuck thermostat or an impeller replacement?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
3/18/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​I Ryan, name is***** read what you wrote. That is typically a sign of a weak or broken impeller, not pushing enough water at slow rpms to keep up with engine RPMS. The impeller sits on a drive shaft, that drive shaft is directly connected to the engine crankshaft. If the engine is spinning at say 1000 rpms, the impeller would be spinning at that same rpm. That being said, the impeller is a wear and tear item, they have a 2 year life span whether you use the outboard or not. The impellers are rubber, and that rubber will get stiff, dry rot, and take on a memory just from the passage of time, so it doesn't matter if you actually use the outboard or not in regards ***** ***** impellers overall life span. It's also standard operating procedure to change those thermostats and flush everything while it's all apart as well. Has it been longer than 2 years since your last impeller replacement?

The boat is new to me, so I'm not sure- but seems like something I should go ahead and have done regardless?

Yes I definitely would have it done. These engine do need regular service. The impeller and thermostats need to be done every other year. The gear lube, greasing the prop shaft, changing all filters, and changing the spark plugs all need to be done yearly. The carbs typically need to be done once every few years. Since you just bought the boat, I would have it completely serviced, that way you know it's in top running condition. Also, if you are good at keeping records and keeping receipts, it will help you in the long run for when you go to sell this boat. Boats that have maintainence records always sell faster and for a better price than boats that do not. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Was there anything else Ryan?