Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Lower trim,started motor and ran fine,went trim up and no…

Lower trim,started motor and...

Lower trim,started motor and ran fine,went trim up and no trim shut motor off and now will not start or trim up or down

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

No power to motor or trim

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. Which engine are you asking about specifically? Can I get the model and or serial number (if a mercury product) off of the engines ID tag so that I can identify your engine.

I​t looks like your read my response and left without ever replying back. Did you still need help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
still need help my name is ***** ***** Evinrude on a pro17 bass tracker

HI Clifford. What is the model number on your Evinrude as it reads on the ID tag?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is the I'd tag

It would be on a sticker on the clamp bracket portion of the outboard. The clamp bracket is the part of the outboard that bolts to the back of the boat. Being a 60 horsepower, the model number will start with either E60 or VE60

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no number on clamp bracket,it's a pro series oil injected

What year do you think this outboard is? Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stoke? Is it carbureted or fuel injected?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
87-90 2 stroke carbureted

Got it. Power for the trim and the key switch comes from the main fuse on the engine. Have you checked that fuse yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All fuses are good

There is only 1 fuse to check not a lot of fuses. Did you check the one that is on the outboard itself? (under the motor cover)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No where exactly is it

The fuse is located inside of a rubber boot on a red wire that is tucked down in the lower engine cowl. This is a 20 amp glass fuse. Click this link for a diagram, the fuse is #39 - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1990/E60ELESM/IGNITION%20SYSTEM%2060EL%20-%2060TL/parts.html

Click this link, this is what the fuse holder itself looks like, it's a rubber boot that you pull apart to expose the fuses - http://www.marineengine.com/parts/images/hg/omc/0983321.jpg

Are you near the outboard now to check this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuse is blown

That is going to be the reason for your no power. Replace that fuse and you will be up and running again. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic