Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2016 90 hp Mercury four stroke stuck in reverse. Stuck in…

Customer Question
2016 90 hp Mercury...

2016 90 hp Mercury four stroke stuck in reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Stuck in reverse. Throttle will accelerate back but pushing forward handle stops. Won’t hit nutrel or forward

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Changed impeller also. Believe it was stuck prior

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Did you replace the impeller, or did a shop do it?

Do you have the serial number of your engine?

I changed impeller. But prior tried put in gear to change impeller seemed stuck.

Ok. Do you have the serial number on it so that I can pull the correct diagrams up?

Throttle moves freely in reverse but won’t go into neutral or forward it stops

Did you recently have the control cables off the engine?

No.

Serial number of the engine?

The cable moves freely to reverse. But stops at neutral and forward

Do you have a helper there with you at the boat?

No. I
Only has less than 300 hrs. Well maintained

Great. There was a design change in 2016, I need to see which one you have to best help you. The only way for me to do that is with that serial number for the engine.

IF904231D

Close, that is the model number. All Mercury engines are categorized by their serial numbers.

That’s all I have. Right now
Any guess

Lets look at the cables on the engine. Remove the hood, and look to see where the shift arm is currently with the controls in neutral. Then shift to fwd and see if that shift moves any in the forward direction.

The throttle moves freely

If the shift cables does not move at all, take off the nut, or pin that holds the cable end to the engine, then try to pull out of the black part of the cable end. See if it moves any at all.

Ok. Thanks.

Let me know what you get on this and we can continue.

Can’t till Monday. I’ll try that. Appreciate u input

Your welcome. Let me know what happens with it and we can pick it up from there. Just reply back to this thread and it will come straight to me.

The cable is moving to reverse when I comes forward to the nutrel position it stops

Did you try to pull the center section out any with it disconnected from the engine?