Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2006 9.9 merc 4 stroke that started flooding gas…

I have a 2006 9.9...
I have a 2006 9.9 merc 4 stroke that started flooding gas out the main jet whenever I pump the bulb to prime it. I just got done cleaning the carb and putting in a new needle and float. I tried putting the old ones back in and it still floods because the needle won't seat. It moves freely whenever I've got it apart and it will seat fine. If I turn the carb upside down and pump the bulb it seats and no gas comes out the jet. Flip it back over and the needle unseats and blows gas out the jet. It's driving me crazy.
3/16/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

When you had it apart, how did you set the float height?

Did you shake the float to make sure that it does not have fuel in it?

Thank you. Any idea whats wrong with my carb

Did you see the questions I asked about it?

When you had it apart, how did you set the float height?Did you shake the float to make sure that it does not have fuel in it?
There isn't a float height adjustment on that carb. Just a retaining screw that holds it at the correct level. Yes I checked many times and the float moves freely
The float doesn't have gas in it. Its brand new

Do you have the serial number for the engine? I would like to get the correct diagram of your carb pulled up.

Its-OR111269

Thanks. Do you recall when you had the carb off and turned it upside down, how did the float sit. There is an adjustment on them it is the metal tag where the hook for the float goes.

Well the pivot rod that holds the float sets on a groove that is cast into the carb. There isn't a "tang" anywhere that i can see.

Got it, I had a different one up at that time.

For the needle, is it in the groove on the float? If the rubber tip the part going into the carb?

The needle goes into a slot on the float and fits into a hole in the carb body. The pivit rod sets into a groove cast into the carb and is held in with a set screw. I've had this carb apart a few times over the years and never had a float height issue.

Thanks. i have to ask on the needle, I have seen them installed upside down before.

With this float, making sure that the pin is down in the groove and that when you turn the carb upside down, the float is sitting even with the carb body is important. This will be the correct setting. if that is how it is currently, then either the float is hitting the carb bowl and not closing, or the needle is somehow not seating when in the proper position.

The float is sitting even when its upside down. It seems to be moving freely when assembled and when i shake it before putting back on the motor its moving. I've had it apart about 10 times now. Tried both the old and new float/old and new needle.

Is the engine sitting level or is it tilted some forward?

Its in trim position 3. This is where i normally have it when I'm on the river.

That should be fairly flat then. When you prime the bowl before the carb starts to leak, will the engine start and idle smoothly? Or is it really rough like it is flooding?

Where on the carb do you see the fuel coming from?

When you prime the carb you can see gas coming out of the main jet of the carb. If you barely fill the carb and try to start it it floods instantly and won't start

And it still does it with the original parts?

Were those form an old aftermarket kit or from Mercury?

It does it with the original float and the replacement. The replacement was ordered from WSM performance parts and has an O.E part #
It wasn't doing it when i pulled the carb to clean it.

Is it apart now, with the float installed?

If so, can you take a pic of it so that I can see what you see?

Give me a minute

Sure thing.

Did you recently soak the carb? It looks like there may be water in it.

Looking at the float, it is slightly sitting upward. You can bend that tab over the end of the float slightly to get it to sit more level.

How do i bend a plastic float? And why doesn't the original one work

There also looks to be alot of water corrosion in there. Is this a salt water motor?

You would use a flat tip screwdriver and pry up on it slightly. Being careful not to break it.

Another thing that you can do it to take some crocus cloth, roll it tightly, and then insert it into the chamber where the needle goes. Turn it so that you clean the chamber. There could be some debris in there that just cant be seen.

That is way off. Is the needle still in the groove? It should sit flat, or even with the carb body.

I've had the moter 3yrs and about once a year it starts idleing rough so, I'd pull it apart and clean it. First time this has happened

That is exactly right.

Can you take a pic of the side of the carb with those hoses connected?

This has to be something inside that seat on the needle. Using the cloth as I wrote earlier should solve it.

I already did that. But why would it seat if i turn the carb upside down
I'll do it again

It would have due to the pressure of the float.

I scrubbed it until it shined hooked it up and it blows gas

Have you tried the new float with the old needle?

Or the old float with the new needle?

One of those parts is not made right or not fitting right.

Both combos, but why did the original one not work
I just put it back to all original and it wont seat

Looking at the body of the carb, I would say it has to do with water intrusion in the carb from the fuel. How are you cleaning the carb body?

Is the vent that runs to the top of the carb clear? This is the one under the top cap where that black gasket is.

I cleaned it with B12 chem tool for carbs

Can you blow thru that tube that connects to the very top of the carb? With it removed from the carb that is.

I couldn't get air through it. Pulled it and the gasket didn't have a hole for the vent tube!

Ok, can I see that gasket?

Does just the hose flow air freely?

Was it installed on the body of the carb with the cut out in it along the opening in the gasket? I take it that is a new gasket?

Brand new. Actually it looks very similar to the one i took off

Drain the carb bowl some, then try to prime it up again. See if it still is flooding.

With the top off it vented and the needle seated. I guess I need to punch a hole in the gasket or buy a new one.

If you have one of those older single hole paper punchers, that may be able to cut the rubber. just line it up correctly.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Alright, I'll get it punched out tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Your very welcome. Glad we got to the bottom of it.

I just gave you 5 stars and I'm telling every fishing buddy I know to get in touch w/you if they are having issues.

Thank you for the rating. If anyone is looking for me, have them put my name in the question.That way many of the others here will leave it alone and Ill get it.

No problem

Look forward to it.