Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Thinking about buying two used jet skis. 98 and 99 Seadoo…

Customer Question
Thinking about buying two...

Thinking about buying two used jet skis. 98 and 99 Seadoo GTX limited. One is running so the owner says and the other he has problems with. He states both have good compression on the motors. What do I need to check for before buying. I know a pretty good bit on the mechanical side but I don't want to buy them and put a ton of money in them for problem after problem,

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No. he did say that his mechanic got both of them running last year but one of them quit on him out at the lake and would not crank back.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
3/16/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

On both skis, check the copression for your self to ensure that the blocks are in good shape. An engine can sound like it is ok, even with low numbers. For a 2 stroke engine you are wanting over 90 PSI on each cylinder. Then check for spark on them. You can rent a compression tester and a spark checker from most chain auto parts stores. If you have good compression and spark, check the steering and throttle to make sure that they move freely, and the shift on them.

Inspect the bodies for any signs of deep cracks.

Look inside the engine compartments for any sign of a water ring where they may have filled up with water.

If there is low compression, or a loss of spark, those are the really expensive items to correct. Unless the ski is really cheap, then it really not be worth getting.