Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

GETTING HAIR REPLACE THE TRANSON PLATE OLD ONE SALT WATER…

Customer Question
GETTING GRAY HAIR REPLACE...

GETTING GRAY HAIR REPLACE THE TRANSON PLATE OLD ONE SALT WATER CORROSION TRYING TO ALIGN IT HAVE ALIGN MY ENGINE AND OUTDRIVE MANY TIMES NO PROBLEM, LIFTED THE REAR OF THE ENGINE MAKE SURE THE WASHER WHERE IN THE PROPER POSITION THE DROP THE BOLT IN ONE JUST FELL EASY THE ORDER HAD TO GIVE IT A SLIGHT TAP THEN SPENT 3 HOURS TRYING TO ALIGN IT

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

TRANSOM CASTING NUMBERS WHERE THE SAME.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
3/16/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

G​ood morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. You will need some kind of hoist, chainfall, gantry, or something to lift the weight of the engine off of the boat when trying to do the alignment. Are you using some sort of hoist where you could lift the weight of the engine off of the boat?

i know that use a scissors jack wirh a wood block have use that 5 times work Good

I don't think a jack is going to work. Here is what you need to do. 1. Make sure the rear motor mounts are in place, and correctly assembled. Unbolt the front motor mounts from the boat (they are typically lag bolts). Lift the front of the engine up with a hoist until you can get the alignment bar in through the back of the engine. Once the alignment bar is through, you can adjust the front motor mounts until they contact the boats stringers. Screw the lag bolts back in. Fine tune the front motor mounts. Remove the alignment bar. Then, lower the hoist and put the weight of the engine back onto the boat. Finally, see if the alignment bar will go back into place. If it will not, then slowly raise the front of the engine via the front motor mounts. Can you do all that with a scissor jack?

Have never taken lag bolt out was able to get it align in the past
Just unbolt the mount
Never had this problem

Okay I guess I am confused. I explained how we would do it in the shop. It doesn't sound like you have the correct tools to do this. (IE you do not have a hoist). How is it I can be of help to you, what kind of questions did you have for me?

Always use a scissor jack it worked perfect never had this problem also I am using a Mercruiser alignment tool I had purchased a while back
I am had Mercruiser since 1972 align many engines singles and doubles this is driving me crazy never use a hoist
Scissors jack

How is it I can be of help to you, what kind of questions did you have for me?

NEVER MIND

O​kay good luck with your boat.