Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Just bought the boat with a 130 honda on it and the trim…

Customer Question
Just bought the boat...

Just bought the boat with a 130 honda on it and the trim pump would not take the motor up.Opened the cap to check fluid and nothing cam out.I tried to put trim oil in and came out.I lifted motor by hand a open cap and a lot of oil cam out.Any advise?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not at this time

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Boat
3/15/2018
Marine Mechanic: Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Shane Creekmore
Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic
You want to check the manual release on the side torward the bottom. Make sure it was tight.
Then crack the manual release and raise the motor all the way up till you can lock it in up position. Add fluid and close cap and manual release. Work it up and down a couple of times then lock it up again and crack the fill lid to let the air out
Add more fluid if needed
How much oil should it take
Not much. If it was dry probably a pint
You can also use dextron mercron transmission fluid if you don't have tilt and trim fluid
added some fluid and let down now I can't release it to go up in manual,hearing noise coming from pump sounds air bound
Close off manual release and use the trim button like you are lowering it for 15-20 seconds then crack the manual release