Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 3208 in my boat and the other day I noticed that…

I have a 3208 in...
I have a 3208 in my boat and the other day I noticed that one of the fuel lines had more vibration in it than the other 7 lines. When I put my hand on top of the line it felt like something was tapping hard on the line, the other 7 just the normal slight vibration. I couldn't hear the tapping but could sure feel it when I put my hand on it. Any idea
3/14/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. That kind of vibration is typically caused by a broken spring inside of either the injector or inside of the fuel delivery valve portion of the injection pump. I don't know if you are looking to work on this yourself or not. (nor do I know what you have for tools) But in short you can do 1 of 2 things. 1. Run the engine, and listen to each injector with a mechanics stethoscope. If there is a broken spring inside of the injector it will sound different than the others through the stethoscope. 2. You can also swap injectors around. If the vibration follows the injector, then you have a bad injector. If the vibration stays on the same cylinder, the injection pump would be sent out for repair. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

I​t looks like you read my answer and then left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a minute to thank me. Was there something else?

Sorry, my name is***** thanks for the information. I will probably have a mechanic check it out. On that one line I put my hand on the fuel line right above where it goes into the head and it feels like the piston is tapping the injector, I'm in no way a mechanic, if the problem is coming from the injector pump would i feel it that strong over the injector and should I have it fixed before if move the boat

Hi Buz. T​he piston wouldn't be slapping the injector. If that was happening the engine would have big big problems. Odds are it's just the spring inside of the injector is broken. Click this link for a cutaway, this is what a diesel injector looks like on the inside - http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Injection/Bryce23.jpg If you look at the picture, the main spring normally holds the spring spindle assembly closed. When there is enough pressure inside of that injector, that spindle will pop open, and inject fuel into the cylinder. When the springs on these break (or simply get weak) that spindle will bounce around inside of the injector, causing a vibration. It's usually not a very expensive repair. Basically the injector would come out and get sent to a specialty shop for repair. Most diesel shops charge 125$ to clean the injector, change the spring, and calibrate it. So it's not to pricey. If you had a further question for me on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for me at this time.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic