Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

For several years to get my 98 200 vindicator started for…

For several years to...

For several years to get my 98 200 vindicator started for the first time for the day, I have to shake the wiring harness going into the engine. Then it cranks all day. No problem. Does not do it everytime but when it doesnt start cold right away then thats what I have done. Well I guess the wire that was almost apart is totally apart now cause I got stranded last week after fishing all day. It cranked that morning by shaking the wiring harness like usual and ran fine then at the end of the day wouldnt hit the first lick. Which wire could be broken to cause a no spark condition like this. Turns fine/! Tilt / trim works fine.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Which engine is in your Vindicator?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Billy . 200hp 1998

H​I Billy. 200 what? Who makes the engine? Can I get a model number or serial number if it is a mercury product.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Evinrude!

I ​would need the full model number off of the ID tag in order to know which engine you have. Do you have that number handy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will go get it.

Okay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
E200STLERK Serial no is G03606316

E200STLERK, got it. Now what kinds of questions did you have for me? Were you looking for a part number for a replacement harness or did you have other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For several years I sometimes have to shake the wiring harness gooing into the engine to get it to crank for the first time in the morning. After that it always cranks fine the rest of the day. Last week it did the same ole thing and ran fine. After turning the engine off at my favorite fishing spot and staying all day it would not crank. This time shaking the wiring harness didnt help. It has no spark at the plug wire. I am thinking a loose connection but cant find it. Which wire could cause this?

When you do this, is the engine cranking but not starting, or does it not crank over at all when you turn the key?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The engine turns over fine. Trim and tilt work fine just wont start. Then like I say, I shake the harness and it has been starting right up.

S​o what are you looking to do, are you looking to slice that harness open and try to find the short inside of it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am a Harley Davidson and Honda certified mechanic. I also worked for a boat dealership and installed a ton of motors on boats. Mostly bass boats. I am familiar with the wiring. Yes I want to find THE wire and splice it. I have already run a jumper around the purple wire (which should provide power to the pack! It has 12.48 volts all the way to the pack.But that still didnt provide spark at the plug wire. So I am trying to find out what other wire could cause this no-spark condition. I am able to diagnose problems like this usually but this one has me stumped!

It would be a combination of 2 wires. The stop circuit wire and the ground wire. When you turn the engine off via the key switch, or when you activate the emergency stop switch. What those switches do to stop the engine is they combine the stop wire to ground. When the stop wire is combined/touching ground, the engine will still crank over, but there will not be any spark. The stop wire is black with a yellow stripe. Ground is solid black. So what you would need to do is slice that harness open, and find where the black/yellow wire is shorting to ground. Does that all make sense to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My first susoect was the big red wiring harness connector located inside the cowling. So i jumpered around it with most the important wires like ignition and tach. Yes that makes sense to me and I have the outer cover sliced on the main harness. I do see the black with yellow. I cant find any hot spots or burns. Can I cut the stop wire and get spark if thats the problem?

Y​ou would want to cut it at the powerpack. Basically cut it there but obviously leave yourself enough room to reattach the wire. If there is a short in the harness as you suspect, spark will return. If spark does not return, then you have a different problem and the ignition system will need further troubleshooting. Were you going to do this now or how did you want to leave this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do this and get back with you shortly

Okay let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Jason....Still no spark!

Do you have the black/yellow disconnected at the powerpack?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cut it about 4 inches from the pack

Okay if there is still no spark then it's not a harness problem. Is the engine cranking over quickly, at least 250 RPM when you turn the key?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is...I even unplugged the black and yellow at a connector under the pack cover. Im at my wits end!

Is there no spark on all cylinders, or no spark on some cylinders? Did you check all cylinders, or just 1 or 2?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ALL!

O​kay if there is no spark on all, then the engine has either a bad stator, a bad flywheel, or a bad powerpack. The powerpack is not directly testable, but the stator is, and the flywheel you can look at. What you would need to do is disconnect the stator from the powerpack, and measure the resistance of that stator. You want to measure between the brown and the brown/white wires that go to the stator. It should read 900 to 1100 ohms. If the engine has what is called a quickstart feature, there is going to be a 2nd set of wires that needs to be checked. Those would be brown/white and brown/black. The resistance between those 2 wires needs to be 900 to 1100 ohms as well. This is going to be a pass or fail test, and the stator is either going to read that or it will not. If the stator is bad, then that's the problem. If the stator measures good, the next step is to pull the flywheel and look at the magnets. These engines have a history of cracking flywheel magnets. If the magnets are cracked the stator will very little voltage output. Again this is pass or fail. IF the mags are cracked, you would need to replace the flywheel. Now if the stator ohms out correctly, and the magnets are good, then the problem is going to be a fried powerpack. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will rate you as per your request. I think I have found the problem and it was under the pack cover. The purple ignition wire from the harness seems to have been hot. I checked voltage on the pack side of that spot and had like 3 volts. I checked on the other side and had 12.34 v. So for starters I am going to repair that wire. I did learn from this so Thanks!

A​hh okay. Earlier you wrote "So i jumpered around it with most the important wires like ignition and tach​". Ignition is the purple wire so I assumed that was the one you already jumped.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did but just not high enough.. I only jumped around the main big red harness connector. Maybe this will solve the problem. The problem I found was under the cover about 1 inch out of the pack.

Ahh gotcha

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic