Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2008 Mercury Bigfoot outboard, model 60 ELPT BF.

The serial number I have...
I have a 2008 Mercury Bigfoot outboard, model 60 ELPT BF. The serial number I have is 1CO 83808. When I go online looking for parts, the sites don't recognise the serial number. When I find a site that has parts for the 60 Hp Bigfoot, they show everything, except the part I need.I need the very top part of the engine cowling. It is a protective covering, attached to the cowling itself. It is attached by 4 bolts, that when I tried to remove them, the female screw slot (made of plastic with a metal insert) on 3 of the 4 attachment parts fell apart.
I need to replace the top cover, including the 4 anchor points.
Can you help by finding where I can buy a new cover?
Thank you
3/11/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Click this link for a picture. Are you looking for #2? https://imgur.com/a/jZakh

my name is TomJason. yes #2 looks perfect
How do I go about getting it?
While I am at it, the back of the cover has a decal EFI Four Stroke on it, is it obtainable also?
Also is there a part number for #2 that would help in a search?

Hi Tom. Okay good. Just give me a few minutes to get you some part numbers.

OK I really appreciate your help!

On your cover. That is part number 8M0118170. You can order that from any Mercury dealer. If you click this link here it is available to order from amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Marine-Mercruiser-New-8M0118170/dp/B01LYQ23U2

On the sticker. Mercury never sold that sticker separately, it was sold as part of a decal set. The part number on that decal set was 8M0098298. It looks like the decal set has been discontinued through Mercury, and is no longer available. When it was available it was 73 dollars, which is a lot of money for just 1 sticker. You might want to see if you have a print shop in your town that can make you one up. The other thing you can try is to go to a local dealer with that part number. Local dealers can search other dealers inventories. (Which isn't something I can do here). It's possible that a dealer has one in stock someplace that they can send you. (at the same time, it would likely be cheaper just to go to a print shop and have one made).

Finally, on your serial number. The reason you were having a hard time finding parts is because you did not have it written down correctly. You sent me that serial number at 1CO 83808. What that actually should be is 1C083808. The difference being that there is no space at all in the serial number. And it is actually the number zero after the C, and not the letter O. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason,Thank you for the great advice on everything! I will give you a top rating and a tip. If it doesn't come thru, let me know please.
Tom

You are very welcome Tom, I was glad to help. I'll give it about 10 minutes, and if no rating comes through I will send you a message. Thanks again. -Jason

Ok. After eating I will see what prices other sites have for that part number. You’ve been a great help

You are very welcome, glad to have helped.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic