Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have this same problem - tilt will not stop running it…

Customer Question
I have this same...

I have this same problem - tilt will not stop running it just keeps pushing the motor all the way up, then reaches top for 5 seconds, shuts off for about 10, then does it again

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I have a brand new Mercury 150 4 stroke, it has been stored properly outside all winter. I noticed this problem began after the first major snow storm, the motor tilted up and the power tilt just kept running. it eventually ran my battery dead now this week I'm prepping to get it out on the water again, I pulled the battery and recharged, yesterday i used another battery to get the unit down, and it worked. I pulled that battery off and left it down. now this morning, i re-hooked the usual starting battery turned around after a few seconds and it was trimming up on it's own.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

I'm very good at repaing things generally - kept my grandfathers 1977 70hps Merc running for the last 25 years Just need to know where to start to diagnos - and i want to fish next weekend!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
Hi - I have a brand new Merc 150 4 stroke, for some reason, the tilt seams to be stuck on, it keeps tilting the motor up and will not stop running. I noticed after the first big snow storm this year - it is stored outside properly. It ultimately ran my battery down.
Now I've recharged the battery and yesterday I got the motor down and it seemed ok. this am when i reconnect, I'm having the same problem and can't get it to stop trimming up.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What is the make and model of your boat?