Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

New fuel pump new relay I can jump the pump prime it up and…

New fuel pump new...

New fuel pump new relay I can jump the pump prime it up and the engine runs until out of gas 2003 seaswirl 1851 4.3 volvo

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The above sums it up

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No that should do it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10-4

Could I get the complete engine model number, please?

Can you test for voltage to the fuel pump relay with the engine running?

If no voltage test for voltage on the green wire on the alternator with the engine running. Do you have voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also I have voltage from the green wire when I turn on the ignition

Do you have voltage on the green with the engine running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know I'll have to prime the pump and check for voltage while its running I'll get back to you

Ok, The way the pump works is the pump gets voltage from the starter when cranking then from the green wire coming off the alternator when the engine is running.

So if you have no voltage to the green wire with engine running then you have an alternator issue. Check the green wire at the alternator and the relay engine running.

If you have voltage at the alternator and none at the relay then you have a bad diode in the wiring harness.

Below is a diagram of the fuel pump, relay, and diodes. Diagram for reference.

Post back with questions and findings.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have voltage at the green wre while running. the engine is a carburated gl or gx 4.3 I cant remember which. eventually it runs out of fuel and dies. I dont understand if i have voltage while its running why is it ruining out of fuel

You have voltage at the fuel pump with the engine running?

How are you priming the carb to start the engine after it quits?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
runing a wire from the battery strait to the yellow red fuel pump wire

If you leave the jumper wire on the fuel pump will engine continue to run?

When you test for voltage on the fuel pump with the engine running what kind of voltage are you reading?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just saw there was voltage I didn't look close enough at the dial. It up quite a ways, I didn't ever leave the jumper on because I felt there could be negative consequences. Do you want me to try it ?

Yes, try it this will determine if it is a voltage issue or carburetor issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would it be a carb issue ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had changed the fuel filter I didn't fill it up just put it on and the pump never filled up the filter cartridge.

Running out of fuel could have a float or inlet needle issue.

If you have voltage to the fuel pump and the pump is running then that leaves a carburetor issue. Now if we have low voltage to the fuel pump this could be the issue. This is a process of elimination. That is the purpose of the jumper wire to eliminate the fuel pump and carb as the possible cause.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pump is new and the relay is new. I tested the old pump after it was out and it was working.

What is your voltage reading at the fuel pump engine running?

If you have the correct voltage to the pump and it is running that leaves the carb as the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
12 volts to the green wire running. It runs if I continue the jump. when I disconnect the jump no power is going to the pump as if the relay holder is bad or the relay. The relay is new
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm jumping outside the relay receptacle going directly to the pump

Where are you checking voltage on the green wire? At the alternator or the relay? If you have no voltage on the yellow/red wire with engine running then the diode is bad or you have a bad connection on the relay.

The relay holder connections can be corroded. Check all the connections.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All my connection are very clean its stored inside and never left in the weather. I have no voltage at the yellow red wire going to the pump from the relay.. I'm checking voltage on the green wire right before it goes into the relay.

If you have no voltage at the green wire at the relay you have a bad diode in the wiring harness.

Here is a diagram. The green wire coming from the alternator has a diode if bad you will have no voltage on the green at the relay.

Have you checked for voltage at the back of the alternator green wire?

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jacksparrow1956/a7424b05-3951-47d9-b762-aae66b81fe01_Volvo_fuel_pump_circuit_96.jpg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 12 volts at the green wire, the voltage is not transferring to the pump

Now check for voltage on the red wire at the relay. The red wire is where the fuel pump gets voltage. The green wire turns the relay on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
While running I assume

Correct. If no voltage check the circuit breaker.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no voltage at the red wire, I have no idea where the circuit breaker for the pump is located one of my problems

The circuit breaker will be a large red button. Can you take some pics of the engine? Without the complete engine model number, it can be in different places.

Follow the wiring harness.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From what I've read if it wont push in its Ok? I'll take a picture where do I send it. I already checked the red button for continuity and it was good.

There is more than one breaker on these engines.

In this link scroll down to OTHER and it explains how to upload pics.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you open them ?

In this pic, the red arrow is pointing to a fuse. Check that fuse is it blown? If yes replace and see if the engine runs now.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bingo. I looked at that fuse already looked closer and it was a blown 7.5 opposite the arrow. Thanks for the help. I now have voltage to the red wire. My old fuel pump had a loose plastic connection that was loose. Maybe it arced and blew the fuse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that day
Thank you....Tan
Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician