Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2005 Regal 24' bow rider. I/O Volvo penta 5.7 GXI.

Hi my name is*****...

Hi my name is***** have a 2005 Regal 24' bow rider. I/O Volvo penta 5.7 GXI. Just put in new depth finder and new cables. I noticed that my blower wasn't working. Check breakers and all OK. Took out blower and touched leads to battery and blower works. Checked switch with tester and power out of both sides. It has a gray wire going to it , I get no reading out of it. I checked power down at blower yellow wire has power and black also lights up with tester, not surer if that's correct. What should I check?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not as of now

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/10/2018
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, what are you suing to measure voltage on the blower and wiring? A test light?

a test light to see if theres power. I don't have a meter

S​o the light lit when you touched the black wire at the blower? Was it bright or dim?

bright

O​kay, that is supposed to be ground so I think you have a short. Jumper a wire from the yellow to one terminal of the blower (which should be from the switch). And then run a wire from the other terminal to either the engine block or another ground in the system. If the blower is now working from the switch you will just need to run a good ground and tape off that old black wire.

I have two yellow wires at the switch. One has [power in and the other out. Which one of the 2 yellow do I run to the engine block or a good ground
There also a gray wire on the switch. what is that for /
the indicator light isn't working on the switch either

No, I want to jumper wires at the blower itself. You should have power on the yellow wire and nothing on the black when checked with a grounded test light. So we are going to take your black wire out of the system at the blower and run a wire to ground. Then you should have the blower work when you power up the yellow wire with the switch. The gray wire at the switch is possibly ground or power for the indicator light, the yellows should be power in and power out.

OK I did just that earlier. I left the yellow wire connected to the blower and then I used my test light and connected the clip to the black ground wire from the blower and the pointer to the neg side of the battery and got nothing

T​hat won't work because the light bulb has too much resistance, try a piece of wire instead.

O, I didn't now that. I already closed up the boat for the night. I'll try that in the morning. Can I get back in touch with you tomorrow since you already know what's going on.
What gauge wire should I use for the ground wire?

1​2 or so should work temporarily. Reply on this thread and the system will email me, I'll try to respond as soon as I can.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
thanks for your time. Speak to you tomorrow. Bob