Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

How do i change the oil in the lower unit of a 350 mercury…

How do i change...

How do i change the oil in the lower unit of a 350 mercury engine in a 225 204 weekender searay, or do i ? i can not found the drain plug

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Changing the oil in a bravo mercury 350 engine. this engine is in my 225 sea-ray weekender 2004

3/10/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Are you trying to change the oil in the sterndrive or the engine oil?

Jason the stern drive

H​I Jason. Is the drive a bravo 1, 2 or 3? If you are not sure, how many propellers are on the sterndrive, 1 or 2?

2 propellers
stern drive 2 propellers

Go​t it. If you have 2 propellers then you have a Bravo 3 drive. There is a drain plug in the front of the drive, on the right hand side. Click this link for a video, this goes over how to change the oil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI57Mrny2MM To put the new oil in, you will need to pump it in from the bottom up. You can get the pumps at any marina, dealer, or west marine. Click this link, this is the type of pump you need. - https://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lubrimatic-Standard-Bottles/dp/B000BQW5LK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520693524&sr=1-1&keywords=gear+lube+pump

Finally, I am going to attach the instructions for you from the Bravo factory service manual. This will show up at the very bottom of this response as a link that you can click on in order to save/print at home. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

I rate Jason's service my 350 mercury engine Jason was clear and easy to follow, rate at 10 on a 10 point rating scale.
Next question flushing and replacing the engine water the from the same engine

Y​ou are very welcome, I will let the moderators know you had trouble with the ratings system.

As for this "Next question flushing and replacing the engine water the from the same engine"

I don't quite follow you. Are you trying to drain the water from the engine block or are you trying to do something else?

drain the water from the engine block and replace it with new antifreeze

W​hen you say drain the water and replace it with antifreeze, are you trying to winterize the engine? Or are you trying to convert the engine from open cooling to a closed cooling system? Also, on this question, I will need the serial number on the engine in order to pull the correct service manual. Do you have that serial number handy?

no i do not have the serial number handy. just want to change out the water. been a while since i have. trying to get the boat ready for the summer season

I​'m still a bit confused. Engines can have 1 of 2 types of cooling systems. One style is an open system, where seawater runs through the entire engine block. The other system is a closed cooling system, with antifreeze and a heat exchanger. On this style system, antifreeze runs between the heat exchanger and engine block, and then seawater runs through heat exchanger. Do you know which style you have?

boat is in fresh water it is close system with blue wing nuts to empty the engine water

There are so many different style of the cooling systems on these engines. What i'm going to do is give you the instructions for all styles. That way you can print the instructions out and bring them with you to the boat, and match it up. See attachment.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic