Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I own a 252 Crowne 1991 model. It has a 3 inch list to port…

I own a 252...

I own a 252 Crowne 1991 model . It has a 3 inch list to port ,which started 3 years ago .I have heard it could be foam beside the stringer is saturated with water .If that is true how do you fix it .Would like to keep this boat ,have really enjoyed it

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not at this time .

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, water intrusion into the stringers, hull core, or transom can cause a list like you describe. Each place calls for different remedy. The first thing I would recommend is to have the boat checked with a moisture meter and see if wet spots can be identified. If they show up then core drillings will be needed to find the extent of moisture. If it is just foam core saturated it can be removed from inside by cutting a "window" in the inner fiberglass, digging out and drying the area, then refoaming and reglassing in the "window". All that can usually be done with damaging the outside of the hull. If stringers or transom are effected that can be done from inside also and new wood can be glassed in. But keep in mind this can be costly and may not be recommended on an older boat. It should not be too expensive to have the hull moisture checked and that will give you an idea of how much work is needed.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast