Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Can not turn forward / reverse control shaft to align lower…

Can not turn forward...

Can not turn forward / reverse control shaft to align lower unit after replacing water pump impeller

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Had ass. put control lever in forward to align lower unit, it looks lie the shaft whent past the stop point and is locked

3/10/2018
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi, my name is***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you.

If you have any details about the product in question that you would like to share i.e, Make and Model, it would be extremely helpful in preparation for your assistance.

Regards,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
mercruiser alpha 1 gen. 2 3.0

Are you able to attempt to unlock it whilst rotating the prop shaft?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, the arm connected to control in the upper unit is locked

As you are gradually inserting the drive unit, rotate the prop shaft/ put pressure on the shaft to rotate anti-clockwise until the input shaft aligns with the engines coupling splines. This will also help the lower unit to stay in forward (shift shaft facing forward) as you are going in.

Ok, 1 sec

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
by arm I mean coupling
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it seems what-ever the control cable is hooked to is out of sync

Ok, so do you have the Lower Unit separated from the Sterndrive and as you are installing the Lower Unit to the Sterndrive, the upper Shift Coupling does not align forward when Shift Lever on the Control is in forward?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
upper shift coupling locked, cannot move

If this is a completely wrong assumption, are you able to show pics??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cannot move from forward to reverse with control lever

Have you already installed the lower unit? Was it shifting prior to reinstall?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no , and yes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
follow me here the shaft the control cable is connected to is locked
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I access the connection of the control cable in the out drive
mercruiser 3.0 alpha , gen 2
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is ***** ***** you still require assistance on the drive/shift?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THE SHIFT SHAFT THE CONTROL CABLE HOOKS TO SOME HOW GOT LOCKED IN THE FORWARD POSITION

Ok. Can you see the shift fork that is sticking out from the gimble ring on the rear of the boat? This is the part that will engage with the shift form on the drive? It is part 17 in this diagram.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/Alpha%20One%20Gen%20II%20%28Drive%20%26%20Transom%29/0L100040%20%26%20Up%20%281998%20AND%20UP%29/TRANSOM%20PLATE%20AND%20SHIFT%20CABLE/parts.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I CAN
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THE LOWER UNIT IS OFF
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IT SEEMS TO HAVE GONE PAST IT;S NORMAL ENGAGE POINT

Does it move freely or is it stuck?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IT IS LOCKED IN POSITION

Will this part move slightly or is is stuck fast in the slot it goes into?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THE LOWER UNIT IS FREE , THE UPPER SHAFT IS LOCKED

Ok. Locate the part where the shift cables attach. One is from the control box and the other is going to the drive. It will look like this one.

Disconnect the cable coming form the control box, and the one going down to the drive. Then see if you can free that shift fork from the housing it is stuck in. Then turn it slightly so that it will fit into the slot properly, reinstall the drive, and then go back in the boat and adjust the shift cables as needed to reattach them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
DID NOT WANT TO FORCE ANYTHING, I WILL GO LOOK AT PART # 17 and get back to you10 thru 17 are attached to the engine, and it appears that the cable to the gimbal goes down under oil pan

It does go under the oil pan and thru the transom. This is what controls that shift form on the back of the transom.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just to make my problem clear , when I dropped the lower unit yesterday there was no problem. when I was trying to line it up it locked up
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
could I have forced the control lever to far

Yes that is very possible. When the gear case if being installed, if this arm is not in the correct position, it can be pushed in so far that it will become jammed. You will need to see if it will wiggle, in the slot, if it will not, then it is stuck and you can try to pull it back out. disconnecting the cable at the top in the boat may help it to move out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will try thank you

Let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no luck .looks like surgery. what has to be done to expose internaly

Does the shift arm not move at all? The one sitcking out of the gimble housing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

If you have the cable disconnect from inside the boat at the shift linkage, you will need to grasp ahold of that lever and pull on it. If the inner part of the cable comes out, that it ok. It can be fed back into the housing. There is a small set screw on the cable 10 in that diagram I sent you that will need to be removed so that the inner part of this cable can be moved freely to get the shift arm unstuck.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic