Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Outobard motor

outobard motor
Nissan NSF30A. Purchased non-operable. Traced spark issue to ignition coil. Installed new coil, tested spark at each cylinder. Compression within spec on all 3 cylinders. Brand new fuel. Fuel getting to carbs. Would not start. Finally found that intake manifold bolts were all loose. Snugged all bolts. Engine now starts but 2 new issues:1) Engine starts but begins idling very very fast.
2) No water coming out tell tale. Traced tell tale tube up to port and it's bone dry.Turned engine off after 10 seconds to ensure no overheating. Ordered 2 new gaskets before removing thermostat to see where blockage is occuring.
i have video but it doesn't seem to want to upload.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Shane Creekmore
Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic
It is most likely idling high because it is still sucking air around that intake gasket. The water issue, you are going to need to drop the foot and take a look at the water pump and make sure the water pump housing is lining up with the pick up tube
Since I just snugged the bolts, is it worth getting a torque wrench and seeing if I can eliminate that additional air or should I just plan on ordering a new gasket?Any idea why someone would have been inside that manifold in the first place?
Also, a friend suggested shooting carb cleaner around the gasket while running to rule out the intake. Thoughts on that?
Thats what I usually do to find out where the leak is (spraying carb or brake cleaner). The torque on those bolts are low.probably around 10 foot pounds.
One more thing. I dont work on many nissans but the ones I have worked on, a common problem I found was the top crankshaft seal. I have had to replace several and everytime it was because of a idling problem.
Shane Creekmore
Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic
you can put it in degreaser but you are going to want to replace that upper driveshaft seal and o-ring. Never pull that cap when replacing a water pump because it will not want to seal back. After you get a price on seal/o-ring check the price on the whole upper driveshaft cap assembly. Sometimes they co.e with the seals installed and sometimes only a little more than the seals
I already ordered the water pump relacement kit and the o-ring. For the seal are you referring to item 32 on the attached image? Here is a link as well: https://www.tohatsu.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1000_1271_1273_1274_14197&zenid=lct80a3n5po4t4jl0lmafb1mr5If item 32 is what you're referring to what is the process for removing it and putting it back in? Grease, or oil?

yes 32 and 33. They usually don't come with the water pump kit as they are are part of the lower unit seal kit. Sometimes you can take a narrow screw driver and set the cap on something that the seal will clear and tap the seal out from the top to bottom.

If you can't get a good angle to tap it out you will need to clamp it in a bench vice and gently pry it out with a sturdy screwdriver or seal puller.

use grease when going back in. (you can take and set a socket on it with the flat side toward seal and carefully tap it in making sure it goes in level)then grease the outside too.

It isn't a very difficult job but it's best if you have a gearcase pressure tester to make sure it seals. If you don't have one just check your gear oil after running it the first time in water to make sure there isn't water in the gearcase

Ok. Thanks.I noticed there is no gasket. What should I use between the gearcase and the lower pump housing once they've been cleaned?
You can smear a little high temp rtv if you want but if it doesnt show a gasket in the diagram it doesn't need one.
Any idea what this high pitched squeek is?https://photos.app.goo.gl/w84eZ72wLvNlMK263
Any thougths? Also, the nuetral throttle sticks - it won't go back to neutral. Any common issues I can look for or likely the cable?