Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Please Help I have a 2001 model rampage express with 2 x…

Customer Question
Hi please HelpI have a...
Hi please HelpI have a 2001 model rampage express with 2 x Mercury 350 horizon with velvet shaft drivesMy boat has the same problem with both engines, however it does not happen to each engine at the same time.It will start and run fine with no load for hours and will rev freely up to the limit however when under load the boat will only rev up to 3000 rpm and feel very low on power.. it will run at 3000 rpm for about ten to 15 minutes before it looses fuel pressure gradually from 30 to 0 ,at 11psi it will start to back fire and I back it off the engine the engines with cough and splutter until the quit obviously with 0 fuel pressure , if I let it sit and cool down for an hour it will start and run fin until put in gear and under load again even if I only limp along at 1500 rpmbelow are comments to my mercury guy in Australia,In the past 12 months I have changes the entire fuel system, new filters put in fuel water traps ,new fuel lines ,run engines on remote tanks.
#Changed fuel pumps and regs ( runs 30psi consistently) until problem kicks in# changed distributor caps and upgraded the sensor inside, all spark plug leads ,new spark plugs, new coils, new ignition harness ( from key to main engine harness)#All New relays#New exhaust manifolds / risers to SS hitek design#New exhaust hoses# checked and cleaned vacume lines from throttle body to fuel regs#Cleaned spark arrestor several timesNotes to my service guys on work done to find next step forward.After hours of reeding I have discovered that the engines may be stuck in limp mode as they have only ever revved up to 3000 RPM and no more.Iam unsure if Simon ever had it revving more than 3000 rpm under load when he initially did his repairs and took it out for sea trail, Thought he said he did however I have never had it past 3K# can you please let me know if Simon has the compression information on the engines, I know one cylinder on the RH bank on Starboard eng was slightly down slightly however still ok all other's were fine.# what I found as a common fault on this engine in the forums is some models with ( rank angle sensors or map sensor ) faulting and puts the engines into safe mode not allowing them to rev or make HP and eventually cuts power to fuel pumps hence loss of fuel pressure, my engines feel down on HP like this, Obviously the bottom is dirty however it was like this at the start when it was clean also.# also Faulty ECM will do the same# incorrect or faulty spark plugs# Wiring into the coil was a problem on one guys engine, a wire had come loose in the connecting plug causing engine to go into limp.# other problems are timing and and the issues with the Dizzy cap and that sensor inside however simon has changed these. one guy who had the same problem, turned out to be stretched timing chains so could not get total advance at full throttle.Iam fairly confident that we need to do the following AFTER we confirm the ECMs are NOT in limp mode1- reset the timing and make sure we are getting total advance with a timing light
2- test ECM wiring for a fault to the fuel pump or relays as discussed
3- Check earths
4- Check MAP or crank angle sensor however I do not think mine run Crank sensor only a MAP ???
5- Check gear shift sensors ( in nee d to check as we may have recently changed these up in TSV, if not we have them but have not changed them )To Date FUEL system repairs
we have changed fuel pumps, fuel pressure regs and runs 30 psi fine for 10 or 15 min but will only rev to 3K, then it looses total fuel pressure to 0 PSI consistently, I have run the thing in gear at 1000 rpm for hours and it will not miss a beat however as soon as it goes into gear under load it lasts ten to 15 min and dies ( could it be gear shift sensor ? ):removed anti syphon valve on fuel return linethe injectors removed cleaned and checked fuel lines and rails replaced however I do not think that it is fuel any-more.Too Date IGNITION repairs
new coils & leads, Spark plugs
new dizzy caps and sensors
new ignition harness
???-- My serial numbersMerc 350 horizons, meant to be 300 HPL399009 & L399010Any suggestions welcome ( we have not tested for faulty ECM or ECM to fuel really wiring yet .Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
3/9/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can you run the boat off of a different fuel tank, like a portable fuel tank, to see if the fuel pressure drops off or not when running on a portable tank?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jason
Tim here I have tried a portable tank on both engines and no difference

HI Tim. Is the fuel pressure still dropping to zero when running on a portable tank?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that correct Jason ,on the portable tank the engines will both run up to 3000 rpm but no more, for 5 to 10 minutes and then cues pressure starts to slowly drop from 30 psi to 0 at 11 the engines will start to backfire ..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have replaced the entire fuel system on both engines, all lines, filters added in water separators, changed fuel pumps twice, two new pressure regs , removed all injectors and rails and tested and cleaned

Okay what you have to do next is make sure the fuel pumps are getting power when the engine stalls. What you would need to do is pierce the wires that go to the fuel pump, or use some self piercing wire problems. Hook a volt meter up to the those 2 wires. Run the engine and then see if the fuel pumps are loosing voltage when the fuel pressure drops, or see if voltage is 12 to 14V when the fuel pressure drops. Can you do that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Jason that was going to be my next test I will try and let you know how I go

Okay let me know how you make out.

H​ello, just checking in. I never heard back from out. How did you make out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jason I have not made it down to the boat yet however I will in the next few days and I will get back to you

OK​ay let me know how you make out.

Hello, just checking in, any progress?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic