Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have an X70A barley used I set it up on the workbench to…

Customer Question
I have an X70A...

I have an X70A barley used I set it up on the workbench to test it before I install it in my new boat. The depth didn't appear to be working so I ordered a new transducer. When I first turned it on w/transducer hanging off side of bench it registered 2.4 ft I raised it to 5 ft and it still showed 2.4 ft. I shut it off and disconnected the battery and tried again and it read 0.0 any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?

Other than its been sitting in a case for about 8 years

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
3/8/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

In order for a transducer to register depth in needs to be in the water. It just will not function correctly on a bench. Typically when I power one up in the shop a reading of around 2' is shown, sometimes it is even 0. With it getting a reading from the transducer that would tell me that the unit is most likely working properly. The test would be to wire it to the boat battery, and then before installing the transducer to the hull, hang it over the side and see if it will read the depth of water that you are in.

If you have any questions on this, please let me know.