Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1992 200 HP boat motor. Why does my motor not start…

I have a 1992 Johnson...
I have a 1992 Johnson 200 HP boat motor. Why does my motor not start unless I use starting fluid the first I try to start it after it starts it will start without any problem
3/8/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

G​ood morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Can I start by getting the actual model number on the outboard as it reads on the ID tag.

my name is ***** ***** is vj200slens motor wont start the first time with out starting fluid
VJ200SLENS

H​I George. Okay got it. How long have you owned this engine for? There is a starting procedure for this engine, and if you don't know it the engine will be hard to start. Can you tell me step by step how you are trying to start it? Has the engine ever been any different or better for you in the past?

tell me the procedure and Ill try it.the motor is a friend of mine Im trying to help.

Before I do that, on your shifter handle. Does the shifter handle have a lever on the top of it that you can pull up to raise the idle speed? Or can you pull the handle out and stick it into neutral and give it extra gas that way?

The gas is controled with a hot foot. we push it down about two inches and push key in to chock. it has a electric fuel pump

Oh boy, that's a problem. Outboards like yours should not have electric fuel pumps, and by law they are illegal. Do you know why it has an electric fuel pump?

no

Okay. The way you would normally start it is like this.

1. Pump the fuel primer bulb until firm.

2. Turn the key to RUN

3. Push IN and HOLD IN the key for 6 to 10 seconds, depending on outside temperature. The colder it is outside the longer you hold the key in, the warmer outside the shorter amount of time you hold the key in. On a 70F degree day you should be holding that key in a good 7 or 8 seconds.

4. Open throttle roughly 1/4 of the way.

5. Turn key to START

That's the right way to do it. If it's not starting when doing it that way then the next thing is to see if the enrichener is working correctly. The engine does not have a traditional choke, instead it has what is called an enrichener. The enrichener is like a little fuel injector. When you push the key in, you are activating this injector, and pushing fuel directly into the engine. To test to see if this enrichener is working, what you would do is first get the engine started, and allow it to warm up. Once warmed up, go ahead and push IN on the key switch again to activate the enrichener. If that enrichener is working, it will start injecting fuel. When this happens, the engine is going to end up getting to much fuel, it is going to run rich, and the engine will either stall out or the idle speed will drop and the engine will start running very rough. If this happens, the enrichener is working. If that does not happen, then either the enrichener is bad, or, the keyswitch itself is bad and not sending voltage to that enrichener when the key is pushed IN. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

enrichener must work. when I used starting fluid, after folling your stepes and no start got it runing pused key in and it died. what next

N​ext would be to compression test the engine and see if it has low compression or not. If the engine has low compression then it would naturally be hard to start as the engine is on the verge of being worn out, or, the piston rings are stuck from carbon buildup. For a result you would be looking for 80 PSI or better. If you get low compression, the next step would be to get a can of Evinrude Engine Tuner, follow the directions on the cab, and then retest the compression. If the rings are stuck the engine tuner will unstick them. Let me know how you make out.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic