Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I’m having problems with my yamaha 2hp 2004 it will start…

Hi I’m having problems...

Hi I’m having problems with my yamaha 2hp 2004 it will start but as soon as I try to open throttle it dies will start again at idle won’t idle for long

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Wow fast response thankyou yes fresh fule tap open breather cap open fule running out bottom carb screw when loosened

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I would like too

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No don’t think so

3/7/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

G​ood morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What is the model number on the outboard as it reads on the ID tag?

Hi Jason 6f8k 2cmh

G​ot it. Now is there any kind of story or history to this outboard, have you ever personally seen it run correctly? Has the engine been sitting for an extended period of time? Have you done anything on your own yet to troubleshoot the issue?

I have had it running but it didn’t go well for long when it was runnning it seemed to go fine

G​ot it. I guess next is did you have any specific questions that you wanted me to answer, or would you prefer if I explained what we would do in the shop if you were to bring it in?

That would be useful I ges process of elimination would be great I am off to work now if you leave a sergestion I will follow up after work and we can pick this up again tomorrow if that’s ok

I​f the engine is stalling out when you rev it up, the problem is ultimately going to be 1 of 4 things.

1. The spark plug is fouled out.

2. The gas is bad. Marine engines are very sensitive to gas. The rule of thumb is that gas can not be any older than 90 days. If it is older than that, then the tanks should be drained and refilled with brand new gas.

3. The engine has low compression. The engine would need to be compression tested. For a result you would be looking for 80 PSI or better. If compression comes in low the you can stop your troubleshooting, as there is nothing you can do to an engine with low compression to make it run correctly.

4. Finally, a dirty carburetor. This is the most common issue. The carburetor has a float boat, and the fuel jets also sit in that float bowl area. When the engine is run, there is always a fuel oil mix that is sitting inside of the float bowl. When the engine is left to sit, what happens is the fuel in the fuel/oil mix evaporates, but the oil does not. The oil gets left behind and that oil ends up forming a varnish, which clogs the fuel jets. To add to that, the other thing that does not evaporate is any petrochemical additives that are added to the fuel during the refining process. Those additives get left behind, and they look like a white powder.

The order you actually want to do this in is to check the compression first. If that looks good change the spark plug. If there is no different then drain the tank, and refill with fresh fuel. And if still no improvement, then at this point the carburetor would need to come off and be properly cleaned and rebuilt. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Ok I have given you a five star rating and wile I was eating for the rain to lift I cheated comprshtion it’s 102 spark plug was a little oily the fule is fresh I striped carb took apart boiled in lemon Juice reassembled carb started moter in drum got it running on idle pumping water all looked great opened the throttle away she went I thought we were sorted but then a meta lick sound from engin I killed the power befour I think it was going to seize
The compression is still good I can pull the starter cord just the same no added Re stance Were two from hear ?

Is there 2 cycle outboard oil mixed in with the fuel?

marine two stroke 25/1

Were you over reving the engine by chance?

No far from it I didn’t get to full throttle

What exactly what the engine doing, can you do your best to describe it?

Sure it sounds high pitched and metlic like it’s parchally sezesing I haven’t started it again since I killed the engine but in saying that the compression is good and I can pull the starter cord normally
Question is there something I can spray inside the cylinder to give us a bit more running time see what the moter is up too ?

No, nothing you can spray into the engine. It's the job of the 2 stroke oil to lubricate the engine. What you can do is get yourself a mechanic's stethoscope. Click this link, this is it - https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640582-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B004KEHGZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520511442&sr=8-1&keywords=mechanics+stethoscope What you would do is remove the spark plug so that it doesn't start. Then, have a helper pull the rope over and over, while you use the stethoscope and listen to the engine block in different spots and see if you can hear anything scraping inside.

Ok Jason I’ll see what I can find or borrow to have a listen
In the mean time I would like your help with another 2hp Yamaha this one is a lot older 1990 if I need to make another appointment with you for this one I will. or if you want to continue that’s all good just let me know how you want to handle this

P​er Justanswers rules, if you have a new question that is either 1. Not directly related to your initial question/issue. Or 2. A question about a different product/engine completely. Justanswer does require you to start a new question topic from scratch on that new issue. If you want that question to come to me just pop my name someplace in the question, and I will be sure to see it (For example; "For Jason - My new question")

Copy that will do
Hi Jason I have made some progress I had a listen inside piston no scraping noises every thing nice and smooth and lubracated I think when I bought thi outboard it had fule with no oil in it it only had a few hundred mil at best I used this to start engin it didn’t sound good I top up mixed fule to the tank and it’s taken some time to refresh now running fine with no matlic sounds I can here a worling sound and I noticed that it blows more air than water at half or more throttle could this be caused by me putting impllar on backwards or wrong direction?I also tested my brand new Yamaha 2 hp in the drum to test sound diffrance and there is no worling sound on new engin what I noticed is that even my new moter acts erraticly at half reeves or more because of the mechanical action of the water serving in the drum it can’t find consistent flow and I think must be drawing air at times though my new moter had no problems with water flow
My concerns water flow and worling noise

I​ really can't say without seeing it and hearing it. Can you make a video and put it on youtube? Is the engine overheating at all?

Not wanting to post anything on u tube Jason what are the Symptoms of an outboard with a impeller on backwards ?

If the entire impeller was backwards it wouldn't pump water at all. If just a few vanes were backwards, it would still pump water, but just not as much.

Ok thanks I’ll have another look at it what do you think about it blowing air could that be caused by macanicle action or over adgutation of water in the drum when moter opened up a bit more ?

Good morning. If you are running the outboard in a large drum, what can happen is the drum will fill up full of exhaust gases, and the impeller can suck those exhaust gases in. I would put the outboard on a boat and go run it that way, and just make sure that it cools correctly and is not overheating.

Ok I’ll take it for a test run thank you for your help with this moter you have been very helpful concerning your cheak in it wasn’t me that asked about a boat but I will cheak in with you concerning my other outboards once I’ve had the coils tested until then thanks Jason

Y​ou are very welcome. Happy boating!