Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2004 Volvo 5.7Gxi with multi-port injection. Engine ran

2004 Volvo 5.7Gxi with...

2004 Volvo 5.7Gxi with multi-port injection. Engine ran though seemed to be having injector issues. I replaced all 8 injectors and now the engine will start and idle well but when I rev the engine it will stall and surge rhythmically. Occasionally it will completely stall out. This is the 1st set of injectors I have replaced. Diacom shows no faults.

3/7/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Has compression and fuel pressure been checked yet? Is this your engine or are you working on this engine for somebody else? Have you ever personally seen this engine run correctly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Jason,
This is my engine. The engine ran before I replaced the injectors but had intermittent starting issues when hot, had started smelling of fuel when shut down, and was no longer able to get to full rpm thus I decided to clean the injectors. While looking for a service to clean the injectors I found a new set of injectors for less than the cost of cleaning so decided to just replace them instead. I have tested the fuel pressure at the Schroder valve on the fuel rail and it is 50psi. Since the engine generally ran fine before, I have not checked the compression.Carl.

H​I Carl. Compression needs to be checked next, as well as checking for proper spark output to make sure that all 8 cylinders are in fact sparking. Is that something you can do?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will get on it. Probably will take a day or two so hold tight.

O​kay no problem, there are no time limits here. There are 3 things that need to be done. 1. Checking compression 2. Checking for spark output. The easiest thing here is to get a timing light, hook the lights pickup on to each plug wire one at a time, and seeing if the light flashes or not. If the light flashes, that means the cylinder is sparking, if there is no flash, then there is no spark on that cylinder. Note - You are not actually checking the engines timing, you are just using the timing light to see if the cylinder is sparking. 3. Lastly, you want to get a portable tank, or just a jerry can, and put brand new fuel in that tank, and hook that tank up to the engine. If there is a problem with the fuel in the boats tank then the engine will not run correctly. Start with those 3 items and let me know how you make out. If you are using Diacom the laptop program (and not the little hand held scan tool) you can do a recording with the engine running, and then send me that recording file. I have diacom as well so I can read the recording files. For that you can email the file to***@******.*** and just tell them it is for Jason in boats, and they will forward the file to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Jason,
All cylinders have spark.Compression is (clylinder/psi) 1/163, 2/148, 3/151, 4/149, 5/168, 6/149, 7/163, 8/150Diacom Marine v2.9.96 recording has been sent to support.Gas is less than 3 months old and was running the engine fine until I replaced the injectors. Also gas runs through a water separating filer then the standard Volvo filter on the fuel cell.Carl.

H​I Carl. Okay got the compression numbers. Customer service can be a little slow (they are overseas) but I will respond back once they forward me the recording file.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Looks like the system is pestering me about responding to your note. So here is a default response until you are ready.

H​ello. I do apologize for the delay. I just got in from work, and am just now looking at your file. In the recording, it looks like you just cracked open the throttle, but the rpms do not seem to hold steady, they seem to bounce from roughly 1500 to 2100 RPMS without the throttle position moving. Is accurate? Is that what the engine is doing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The system seems to have eaten my response. In any case, the RPM bounce is exactly the problem.

H​I Carl, good morning. Okay the next step is to get a portable fuel tank, fill it up with brand new gas, hook that up to the engine, and see if it starts to run better or not. Also, when you do this, unscrew the fuel filter on the engine and dump it out. You can reuse the old filter as long as no rusty water comes out of it. Do that next and let me know how you make out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason, I have purchased a new tank and filled it with premium fuel. If it is not pouring down rain I will give the new fuel a try tomorrow.

Okay let me know how you make out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Jason, As expected 92 octane fuel purchased yesterday acted no differently than the 3-month-old 92 octane fuel in my tanks. I purchased a new fuel tank, a new fuel filter, and used new fuel lines to the pump. In the past, as the engines warmed up the amount of surging and then dying would go down. This also happened with the new fuel. In short no change.

G​ood morning. What brands of compression gauges and fuel pressure gauges are you using? Are you using quality brand name tools (Snap On, OTC, or any good brand) or are you using harbor freight special type tools?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am using name brands.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason, You appear to be floundering around here. Is it time I call my local mechanic or do you have any concrete ideas?

H​ave you checked the firing order yet, to make sure that the correct plug wire is on the correct cylinder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason, Besides the injectors being replaced nothing has changed on the engine. The engine ran fine before I replaced the injectors! No plug wires have been swapped. Nothing is different...

H​mm... If the injectors are the only difference maybe they are not the right ones for the engine. Did they come in Volvo boxes with part numbers on them, or were they loose and not in packages? Also, have you run the engine and listened to the injectors with a stethoscope to make sure all 8 were clicking/firing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jason,
The injectors are exact replacements of the old injectors and have exactly the same part numbers marked on the old injectors. I was hoping you were going to be able to say something like your results are common when noobs do X. Go fix X and you will be back on track. But it is starting to sound like my issues are not a normal noob issue. As such unless you have any ideas on something stupid I may have done I am going to contact my local mechanic and have him come troubleshoot the issue.

W​ell... Here is what you are looking at. Surging can be caused be 1 of 2 things.

1. Misfiring ignition. But you told me there was spark, so I can only take your word on that. I would have no idea if your spark plugs are misifiring or not without testing them myself, but you told me you had spark, so again I can only take your word on that.

2. Improper ratio of fuel to air. Bad gas would gas this, dirty injectors would cause it, injectors not firing would cause it. Low compression would cause it. Low or high fuel pressure would cause it. We haven't checked the regulator yet. Pull the hose off that and see if there is any fuel in it or not.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic