Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I bought an Evinrude 2 cycle 150 HP 1997 outboard motor. I…

Charles, I bought an Evinrude...
Charles, I bought an Evinrude 2 cycle 150 HP 1997 outboard motor. I had to clean it up a little, the engine would was ceased up but after I worked it back and forth It started right up and appeared to be firing on all 6 cylinders. I ran the motor about 5 minutes. I noticed the engine was discharging water thru the prop, but none out the tattle tell opening. The engine did not appear to be overheating but the water discharge out the prop. was cool, not even a little hot. Is this normal, if not, what would cause this problem?
3/6/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** you for requesting me.

With an engine that has been sitting, the first place you would want to look for a blockage is the tale-tell outlet fitting. Bugs like to get in there and block it up. Using a small tool and compressed air can clear it.

The water not getting very warm it telling me to look and make sure that the thermostats are actually still installed in the cylinder heads. Someone may have removed them thinking it would help, but it can actually harm the engine by not allowing it to warm up to operating temp.

Check on these items and let me know what you see.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I'll check them. another question. On the starboard side of the engine, there is linkage from the top of the engine, hooked on to a square shaft going down into the midsection of the engine, The other end of the linkage goes to another square shaft that goes to the throttle linkage
the shaft going into the underside appears to be stuck it will move up and down, but will not rotate freely. What does this control?

Can you post a pic of that here. It is better if I can see it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried to find a picture but I don't know what to call it. Do you know? I looked on boatinfo but it is down. Is there another website I can use to find a picture.
I found a picture on another evinrude motor, it is of another part, but the one I'm looking for is in the background. I'll try to download it, maybe you will reconize it

do you have the model number of your engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
E1501ECXeue
0 04367237

Sorry about the delay, had to go and look at a house.

Are you talking about rod 15?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
rod 15 hooks to rod 3 on top of the assembly via linkage 11 & 4 rod 15 is the part that will not move back and forth, only up and down about 1/2 inch.
I don't know what rod 15 hooks to, but it is stuck and will not move.

That is for the timing advance. You can try to spray some WD-40 into the two pivot points, disconnect the throttle cable and then try to move the linkage back and forth by hand. It is more than likely just corroded in the bushings right now. I have had to do this before on these.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the #15 rod loose at the top it will move up and down but not back and forth. I am looking a the picture I sent to you, how is the # 15 rod attached to #13. it looks as if the rod stabs into the right opening and is fastened by 2 9 rings or clips. Is that a bolt on the bottom of the right opening? How do I get to the #13 part if I can't break it loose?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you there, did you get my last question asking how the rod is attached to the part on bottom

Yes, Im here. the rod 15 is pressed down into the part 13. Where it will be stuck is the two places on the side of the block that it goes thru. This is what holds it in place. Also pop the air box off and see if you can move arm 14 here.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1997/E150ICXEUC/INTAKE%20MANIFOLD/parts.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm still trying to get the #15 shifter rod out. I am putting a pretty good torque on it but it will not budge. I can't see any bushings on the block for the rod to pass through. I can move the rod up and down about a half inch easy travel. If the rod was stuck I would think it wouldn't move at all.
I was able to free the #14 shaft by working it back and forth.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to get the thermostats out. Where did they hide them?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there any websites that show complete information like boatinfo provided?

I have not found another site that has manuals like boatinfo had. I suspect that on OEM had them shut it down since it was all free.

The thermostats are behind the cover 19 in this diagram. One in each head

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1997/E150ICXEUC/CYLINDER%20&%20CRANKCASE/parts.html

Are you still trying to use the control box to move the throttle, or do you have the cable disconnected from the engine and are trying to move the throttle by hand on the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not have the cables off of the engine, I am trying to turn the shift rod by hand. I put vice grips on the middle of the rod and tried to work it back and forth, wouldn't budge.
I was thinking, when I started the engine and ran it, I did shift from forward and reverse with no problems. I noticed then that the engine had an electric shift. could this be the problem ?

That rod is not for shift, but for throttle. It will not move very much with the cables attached. disconnect them from the attaching point at the engine and then see if it will move at all by hand.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't find the shifting cables. I can't find anything on this motor, has too much enviromental stuff.

Same side as the throttle linkage 15 that you have been working on. PArt 47 in this diagram is what holds the two cables in place. Follow the cable to where it attaches to the linkage and remove the pin or nut there to take the end from the engine control. I bet you will see that the throttle at the helm is still stuck while on the engine it is moving freely. This would require you to replace the cables if that is the case.

This engine is not electric shift it is cable driven from the control box.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Charles, I am still working on getting the cable loose from the engine. If you want me to rate you now let me know and I will, I'm not through

A rating will be great. I will still be here to assist you on the engine.

Have you taken off the lower pans to gain better access to the cables.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got the cable loose, the shaft turns freely.

Great. Now with them disconnected, try the control box to see if it will throttle and shift, or is it stuck? I really feel that with the shape the engine was in, the cables are stuck and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed the cables from the engine. I worked the from the console, They were a little tight but moved freely after I worked them, Now, the tilt trim will not work. The motor is in the up position, I am trying to let it down. I am trying to lower it manually via the relief valve. Is the snap ring have to be removed to open the valve, I can't get it to turn with a screwdriver, is there another way to let the motor down.

The snap ring needs to stay on. It is there so that you cannot remove the valve by accident.

Is the trim doing anything, like clicking, or is it just dead? Will the engine still crank over at all? If the answer to both of these is no, there is a blown fuse on the engine. Remove the hood, and replace the fuse, then it should trim again.

I would replace the cables. You do not want one to get into a bind while you are at WOT on the water and cant slow down.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tilt trim was working, but intermittely, It would always pick up but sometimes wouldn't go down, I have power to the red wire, but none to the green and blue. I removed the switch and wired the tilt direct, Nothing happens up or down, I tried to get the manual valve open to let the motor down, the valve is very hard to turn, I am afraid I will damage the slot in the head if I get too rough with it. Is there a hydraulic line I can disconnect to release the pressure?

Locate the plug for the motor. It is part 17 in this diagram. Apply battery positive voltage to the green, and negative to the black. If the motor is good, it will trim down. If it does, your trim relays are bad and will need to be replaced.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1997/E150ICXEUC/POWER%20TRIM-TILT%20HYDRAULIC%20ASSEMBLY/parts.html

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic