Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I finally got around to cleaning out the FFP Assembly and…

Jason,I finally got around to...
Jason,I finally got around to cleaning out the FFP Assembly and Vapor Separator Tank. There were pieces of old fuel hose in the bottom of the screen. I cleaned all of it out and re-primed the system. I bypassed the Fuel/Water Separator on the gunnel and ran the fuel hose directly to the tank with new 3/8ths fuel line and tested the boat at WOT. The problem still persists. Next I would check fuel pressure and replace the FFP?Another thing I was curious of... when I replaced the two low pressure fuel pumps, the OEM pumps have three connections. One outlet and two on the inlet side of the pump. One of those two is for fuel and the other is an air hose that goes to the block. When I replaced them, they no longer make an OEM pump with three connections, they simply have an inlet and outlet and the air hose going to the block is left off. Does this hose being left off affect how the low pressure pumps pull fuel in?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/6/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

G​ood morning, Jason here. I do apologize for the delay but I was working all day yesterday. Can you take a picture of how your low pressure pumps are plumbed so I can see it?

I can take a picture when I get home on lunch. The air breather for the vapor separator that goes back to throttle body was also pinched closed so I replaced that.

Try and take as many pictures as you can, from different angles. I want to be able to see everything.

Okay I will.

Okay sounds good, I will catch you later.

Okay I see it, and I know what the problem is. Out of curiosity did you buy those fuel pumps online or from a local Tohatsu dealer? Also, do you want to switch this to phone? I know that it costs more money for you but it will make things a lot easier to explain.

How much is it to switch to phone? Can you try to explain it first
I bought them online
The motor ran okay after I changed pumps, just got to the point to where I couldn’t run it wide open

I​t's an extra 26 to switch to phone. The actual call time itself would be unlimited, and not a by the minute type of thing. Just let me know if you want to do it or not. I am available for about the next hour for a phone call, after that I would be logging off for the evening. I know it does cost extra, but we can chat and I can send pictures and explain what is wrong at the same time. It would definitely go quicker for the both of us.

Well I won’t be able to do it in the next hour anyway
How long would the convo take

I​t would take as long as you need it to take. Every customer is a little bit different, but the time would be all yours. Basically I have to explain how a pulser style fuel pump works. Why it works. What is wrong with your current pumps. And how to fix it. Most calls average 1/2 an hour, but that all depends on the customer. If you want to set something up for tomorrow, what would be best is if you could be in front of an actual computer (and not using a cell phone or some kind of tablet). That way we can chat and I can send pictures in real time.

I have a computer at work, I could call for a little bit during my lunch I guess. Am I gonna need to purchase new pumps? Is my FFP likely bad

G​ood morning. You are going to need to either get new pumps, get used pumps, or modify your original pumps. I don't know how handy you are but you would have to drill and tap those existing pumps in order to get them to work. Let me know when you have some time available for today and we can set some time aside for a call.

I think I understand what is going on. Basically the low pressure pumps without engine vaccumm can’t supply the vapor separator and FFP enough at WOT. But whenever at idle, the engine will run okay. The vacuum in the pulsed type pumps helps keep the system primed.

Those ports in the engine block are not vacuum ports, they are pulse ports. They will suck air in, and then blow air out, pulsing back and forth. It's that pulsing that moves the diaphragms inside of the fuel pumps in and out. Right now those pulse pumps are not pushing fuel to the main electric fuel pump. In the back of your fuel pumps there is a hole. That hole needs to connect to the now open fittings on the engine block. The reason I asked if you were using an actual dealer or not is so you could go and look at the fuel pumps. Click this link for a diagram, this would be a 2014 model year 115 engine. - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Tohatsu/Outboard/2014/MD115A2/VOPOR%20SEPARARATOR%20&%20FUEL%20LINE/parts.html

If you look at the diagram, you can see that hose #49 connects to a fitting on the back of the fuel pump. Your pumps are missing that fitting. Basically you need something along the line of this, but you will have to figure out the actual size of the fitting. Click this link - https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/images/L/3222.JPG

If you were working with an actual local dealer they might actually have some in stock (of the right size) that they could give/sell to you. But if you do not have a local dealer you will have to take a fuel pump off the engine, go down to the local pluming supply store, and see if you can find something that is close. Then after that, you would take the fuel pumps apart, and drill and tap the hole in the back of the pump to accept the fitting. Then put it all back together and run fuel lines from the fittings on the block to the new fittings on the fuel pumps. That will get everything working again. Or, option B is to get new or used old stock pumps. There are 2 right now on ebay. Click this link, these are the pumps - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Tohatsu-115-HP-Fuel-Pump-Assembly-PN-3T1040000-M-FREE-SHIPPING/141900433906?epid=1939043414&hash=item2109ecc9f2:g:~wQAAOSwWTRWu6YR&vxp=mtr

And that's really about it. Those are your 3 options. You can 1. Modify your existing pumps. 2. See if the latest model pumps come with the fittings already on the back of them or 3. Buy the pumps on ebay. Any of the options will work, it's just a question of time vs money for you, and how you want to attack it. (For 55 bucks each I would personally just grab the pumps on ebay, it would save you a whole lot of driving around trying to find the right size fitting to stick in the back of your existing pumps) does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Okay ill probably just get new stock pumps. I was wondering if not connecting those air lines would affect fuel draw and I guess my assumption was correct. Ill get those swapped out and get back with you. Thanks for everything, Jason.

You are very welcome. Thanks again.