Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

No power to starter or trim after storing for the winter.

No power to starter...

No power to starter or trim after storing for the winter

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

2008 mercury optimax 150, everything worked prior to storing for winter. Hooked everything up and have no power to motor or power trim on big motor.

3/3/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercury outboards are cataloged by serial number, and not by year. Do you have that number handy so I can run it and see exactly which version of the 150 you have.

sorry, im at home and the boat is 20 mintutes away right now. i did have a previous problem that you guys helped me with i don't know if i have an account that would give you that info?

I ​don't see any other questions in your history. Did yo use a different account?

Nope, unless it was through a different site but i thought it was through this one
I have an owners manual would that help

The problem is everything is cataloged by serial number, and not by year, I could guess as to what it is you have, but it would be just a guess. There are no time limits here, do you want to get back with me later on with that serial or did you want me to take that guess? More importantly, I don't know what you have or have not checked on your own so far, what kinds of questions did you have on the issue?

I should be able to manually trim the motor up right? Get it home and go from there.

I​s that what you are looking to do, lift the motor up by hand? Or were you trying to figure out why there is no power to anything?

No i want to figure out what the problem is because I have to trim or power to the big motor. When I tried to jumper it I got a slight noise coming form the power trim but no action. Also no power when trying to turn over, no beeps eithers. All the other accessories work and the power trim on the kicker was fine also. So I would want to manually trim it up to get it home so I can work in my heated garage lol.
meant to say no power to the trim or big motor

Did you check the fuses on the engine yet?

I tried to find them, but couldn't locate exactly where they are. What type of fuse is it?
Also didnt have any tools on my to do much.

Well.... This is when I have to either guess or you get me that serial number first. Which would you like me to do?

Right thats why i want to get it home. Then I can give you info and work on it at the same time.
manually tilting the motor up is an option right.

O​kay no problem, just reply back once you get it home and we will take it from there.

Edit - Yes, there is a manual relief screw on the power trim. If you back that screw out 2 or 3 turns you will be able to lift the outboard up by hand.

Ok, thanks Jason, I will get back to you when I get it home unless something miraculous happens.

You are very welcome. Let me know how you make out.

how did you make out, any progress?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic