Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a fairly new(15hrs) 2013 Yamaha 150hp outboard engine…

I have a fairly new(15hrs)...
I have a fairly new(15hrs) 2013 Yamaha 150hp outboard engine on my restored 1987 Grady White Tournament 19.2' boat. The boat is at the marina at Tyndall AFB Florida and I am now at Tallahassee, FL(100 miles). Yesterday, I wanted to take the boat to Tallahassee; but, the engine was down and I had no battery. I turned the screw in the mount counterclockwise to try and lift the engine manually, but I could not lift it. I turned the screw back clockwise and hooked up a new battery that I bought and tried to lift the engine. It sounded like the lift mower was whirring but the engine did not lift. How do I fix this in order to get the engine lifted for transport. Thanks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What is the model number on the outboard as it reads on the ID tag?

Are you here?

My name is John. Yes I am here. I have to look up the model number

Hi John. Okay. Are you not near the boat now?

I am almost deaf. I prefer the written word

Not near boat 100 miles away

O​h... Okay. What were you looking to do here? How is it I can help you if you are not near the boat now?

My question is, how do I lift the engine I explained what happened yeaterday I have a fairly new(15hrs) 2013 Yamaha 150hp outboard engine on my restored 1987 Grady White Tournament 19.2' boat. The boat is at the marina at Tyndall AFB Florida and I am now at Tallahassee, FL(100 miles). Yesterday, I wanted to take the boat to Tallahassee; but, the engine was down and I had no battery. I turned the screw in the mount counterclockwise to try and lift the engine manually, but I could not lift it. I turned the screw back clockwise and hooked up a new battery that I bought and tried to lift the engine. It sounded like the lift mower was whirring but the engine did not lift. How do I fix this in order to get the engine lifted for transport. Thanks.

W​ell, were you trying to life it yourself or did you have help?

I was trying to lift it myself. It was not possible. However, all that is past history because I hooked up a new battery and the engine whirs but won't lift. I want to know what I need to do when I go back to the marina in order to lift the engine in order to take the boat to Tallahassee. I can't communicate at the marina.

The outboard weighs well over 500 pounds. You definitely can not lift it up by yourself. The F150 engines takes 3 strong guys to lift it up. Also, keep in mind you are not lifting straight up. You have to grab the skeg/lower unit and pull it out, and then push it up. It is very very heavy. On the motor side of things, If it's not lifting up with the trim motor, then chances are it has a leak and is low on trim fluid. In a nutshell what you need to do is get 3 strong guys together. Open that manual relief screw just like before. Lift the outboard up. Set the outboard down on the trailer latch. Then from there you can open up the reservoir for the trim fluid and add fluid in there. Once it's up you can also see which one of the trim rams is leaking. Does that make sense to you?

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

There were no indication of any fluid leaks. Is there another reason that the trim motor won't lift? Does it need to be reset to engage it somehow.
I need some alternatives other than fluid. The marina is just a storage place and a boat ramp, no assistance, let alone no muscle or equipment.

Being low on fluid would be the #1 reason it wouldn't trim up with the trim motor. When they leak they usually don't drip oil all over the drive way. Instead they weep oil around the ram seals. The motor itself could also be bad. There is a little stem at the end of the motor itself, that stem goes into the oil pump section of the trim motor. It's not uncommon for that little stem to snap. Either way, you are either going to need some muscle to get that outboard in the up position so you can see it. If you can't get helpers, then you need some kind of hoist or something. In a nutshell you would want the problem to be low fluid because that would ultimately be the least expensive repair. If it's not the fluid the repairs only get more expensive from there on out.

The only other thing to add is you do want to make sure that manual relief screw is actually turned all the way in and seated. Was there anything else?

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a minute to thank me. Was there anything else?

No, I have to go back there to see what I can do. Thanks.

Y​ou are very welcome. Please do not forget to select a rating for my service. If you can not see the ratings box just reply back "I rate Jason's service _________" and I will have the moderators take care of it. Thanks again and good luck! -Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic