Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

It’s been about 1 hour and 30 mins and is still stuck at…

Thanks! It’s been about 1...
Thanks! It’s been about 1 hour and 30 mins and is still stuck at 25%. Should it start moving soon?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

No, just let it do it's thing. If the battery is really dead it can take hours and hours to get them back up to full charge.

Ok great! So I’ll keep my patients.Once battery 1 is done, should I attempt to start the boat or wait until both are fully charged?

I would personally do both batteries. It is really hard on an engines alternator when you are trying to ask that alternator to charge up a flat battery.

Thank you. And when I get the green light that both batteries are full, there is no need to jump it, correct?

There wouldn't be a need to jump it. But lets hope the batteries are actually taking a charge. That little green light comes on when the battery stops accepting amps from the battery charger. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the battery is charged. The reason being is if the batteries themselves are bad, what will happen is they will not take a charge at all. The charger itself see's this as "the battery must be full, time to turn on the green light". So let the charger do it's thing first. If for some reason it's still doing the clicking then the batteries will have to be tested to see if they are any good or not.

Just got the boat started, how long should let it idle for?

W​hat do you mean by how long? Are you trying to use the engine to charge the batteries or were you trying to do something else?

Just let the motor run to charge the batteries

T​o be honest there isn't a way to answer that only because there is no way for me to know exactly how flat the batteries are. That is why earlier I had said that personally I would charge both batteries up until the green light on the charger comes on before starting the engines up. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything if you want to let them idle for 1/2 to an hour. But even then it might not fully charge the batteries because alternator output is not very high when the engine is idling. Alternator output is directly related to engine RPMS. The faster the alternator spins, the more power it puts out. When the engine is idling the alternator does not put out much of a charge. It very well could put out less of a charge than your battery charger does when at idle.

Ok it’s been about 30 mins, I’m going to hook up the trickle battery to battery 2
What happened was battery 1 stoped taking a charge and it started right up

Just make sure you don't leave the engine running and the trickle charger hooked up at the same time. Also, turn your battery switch to OFF. When the switch is turned to BOTH the charger is going to try to charge both batteries at the same time, and that isn't a very efficient way of doing it.

Thanks. Engine is off, battery position is in the off position. Now I am charging battery 2

Once that is charged up you should be in good shape.

Thank you, ***** ***** went back to battery 1 and have indication of 75% charge. I also changed it to 2A as 10A shows a 0 % charge. Any ideas why and should I leave it at 2A or back to 10A?

Each charger is a little different so I really can't answer that. I would just leave it at 10A until the green light comes on.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for everything!

You are very welcome. thanks again and happy boating! -Jason