Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2001 Yamaha ox66 where the main oil tank on the…

I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Yamaha ox66 where the main oil tank on the engine is not filling automatically. The emergency bypass fill switch does work by allowing the tank to fill with this switch engaged. At first, I thought it was the float gauge in the tank which I've now replaced. Problem remains the same. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Thank you and yes, this automatic fill had worked prior to me replacing the pump and filter on the main oil tank on boat.

2/17/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can I get the full model number on the outboard as it reads on the ID tag.

Hi Jason, my name is ***** ***** here's the info - SX250TXRZ

Hi Craig. Okay got it. Do you have a hand held volt meter that has a continuity function? Are you near the outboard now?

I'm near the boat and also have a volt meter with continuity function.

O​n the main oil tank, the big one that is inside of the boat, there is going to be a plug with 4 wires on it. Disconnect that plug. Then, on the side of that plug that goes to the tank, locate the black and the black with a red stripe wire. Does your meter show continuity across those 2 wires, or does it show as open?

I'll go and test now

Okay let me know what happens.

I see it. Somebody spliced in their own wires and changed the color codes. Take the pink and green wires that to into the top of the oil tank. Disconnect those. Then on the side of the wires that go into the tank, check for continuity on those.

I'm not getting any continuity on those two wires that lead to the tank.

O​kay that is going to be the problem, as you should be getting continuity through those wires. The oil pump in that big tank is electric. What you were measuring is an oil float switch. This switch tells the engines CDI box if the oil tank is full or empty. The way it works is if the system thinks that large tank is empty because of a bad oil float switch, what it will do is prevent the oil pump from turning on. The reason why is if it did turn on, and if the tank was really empty, the pump would simply run and run and burn itself out. So when the system thinks the tank is empty, it prevents the oil pump from turning on. Replacing that oil float switch will take care of the problem. Does that all make sense. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Excellent. Makes a lot of sense now. I was wondering why you had me troubleshooting the larger oil tank on the boat even though my problem was at the engine. Makes sense to me know based on your explanation. Thank you very much Jason.

It's that float switch in the large oil tank that will "override" the CDI boxes decision to turn the oil pump on. If the oil tank was really empty, that pump would kick on and run until it burned out if that float switch wasn't there. You are very welcome. Happy boating! -Jason