Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a 2004 140 up four stroke. When I run it the seems to…

Have a 2004 140...

Have a 2004 140 up Johnson four stroke. When I run it the seems to go into slow mode. No horn or lights. But watching the system check guard it f

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Watching the gauge it flashes 3 times then 2 times. What is this code

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Had no water in fuel. Changed water pump and spark plugs. Problem started by hitting a big wake.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/16/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. I know what the problem is. Are you able to open up PDF files if I send you something in that format?

Should be able to

A​re you familiar with what an IAC valve is, have you ever heard that term before?

And how about a MAP sensor?

My name is Billy

Hi Billy. How about a MAP sensor, do you know what one of those is as well?

I do.

On this engine the MAP sensor and IAC valve work together. What the 3-2 is for, is it means that either the MAP sensor is bad. Or, the vacuum passageway between the MAP and the intake manifold is clogged, and the MAP is having a hard time reading intake manifold vacuum. In a nutshell what you would do is remove the MAP sensor, and see if the passageway underneath of it is clogged or not. If it is, you simply clear the clog then retest. If it looks clean, then you would replace the map. At first I was going to send a PDF file but it is actually a little easier for me if I just do pictures instead.

1. Click this link, this is going to show you where the MAP sensor is on the engine - https://imgur.com/a/JtNzT

2. And click this next link, this is going to show you what that little passageway under the MAP sensor looks like - https://imgur.com/a/9Pda8

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
It will be tomorrow before I get back on it but will let you know then. Thanks

You are very welcome. If it still gives you problems feel free to reply back any time. Happy boating - Jason

Jason this is Billy
This is Billy. The code went away but the motor is still in safe mode

H​I Billy. Good morning. What do you mean by it's still in safe mode? In safe mode the alarm would go off. Is the alarm going off? Did you just have to clean that passageway for the map sensor or did you replace the MAP sensor?

Passage was clean. Got another map sensor. Ran it at the lake. It will start cutting out when it hits 3000rpms. Like going into slow. Now lights and no warning horn.
Have found that I can pull either plug wire when running and it quits the hard surging. Really no difference in either wire top to bottom.

O​kay if there is no alarm and no lights, then it is not going into safe mode, and there is a different problem. What is the history on this engine, have you ever personally seen it run correctly?

No. I work on motors. I can look at mercury and yamaha on my computer. Can't look at this Johnson. Customer said he hit a big wake and it started doing this. You run it up to 3000 and it starts cutting back.

A lot of times when you are limited to 3000 RPMS there is a problem with the neutral switch on the motor, and the ECM thinks the engine is in neutral instead of in gear. I never got a model number for your outboard, but I would check and see if there is a neutral switch on it, and make sure that switch is operating correctly. Without a proper scan tool there is only going to be so much you can do. But I would definitely check this next.

J140pl4src. I will check that Monday to see. Thanks for your help.

O​kay that motor has a neutral switch. I'm attaching a picture showing it's location.

Yeah I found it . In my parts look up. Will look at it when I can . In Texas it's been eating here for a week solid .

See what you can do when you find the switch. Mercury's and Yamaha's have these switches as well. The best way to check and see if it is working correctly is to hook up the scan tool and the shift it in and out of gear, and the scan tool will say that the outboard is either in or out of gear. Without the scan tool you can try and check it with a volt meter.

Yeah but with those you get a warning. I will check it. Thanks. Never ran into this on one of these motors. They are usually bullet proof.