Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am restoring a 1971 Grady 19.4 Sportfishing boat ...

I am restoring a...

I am restoring a 1971 Grady White 19.4 Sportfishing boat ... basically a 19' runabout. I intend to replace the transom, stringers and the floor. I wish to get a 150 ETec when completed. So here is my issue ... the transom is 20 inches in height and I wish to raise that to 25" to help prevent issues with water when decreasing speed. The boat was made with a very wide opening to install 2 engines in 1971 as an option and I wish to also close in that gap, again to prevent water from entering in over the transom. Now my issue ... how wide would I need to leave the opening to prevent any issues with a 150 Evinrude ETec? Also I was going to layer 3 - 3/4" Meranti pieces to make new transom ... is there anything disadvantageous to making the transom thicker than original?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

No just looking for how big of an opening I need when I reduce the stock transom opening and wanted to know if making the transom thicker was a pro or con thing to do.... Bill

2/15/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Have you measured the existing transom to see how thick it is now? In regards ***** ***** spacing, have you read the installation guide for Etec engines yet?

Are you here?

originally transom is 1.5 inches ... don't see anything negative making it an inch thicker but can't find size for e tec opening on Evinrudes site

T​he reason I ask is back when boats were built back then, there were no standards in regards ***** ***** thickness, so that thickness could have been anything the boat builder wanted it to be. Today there are standards. The transom thickness can be no thinner than 1 5/8ths and no thicker than 2 3/4 inches. For all intents and purposes, modern day boat builders of your standard every day boats do build the transoms to 2 3/4 inchs. Only specialty/race/go-fast style boats build thinner transoms in order to shed weight and allow the boat to go faster. Those boats are typically built with highly advanced fiberglass and or carbon fiber techniques. Can you open up PDF files if I upload the installation guide in that format for you?

Posted on behalf of the customer: Yes I can open pdf files

G​ood morning. I waited around for you for 15 minutes last night, when you did not respond back I logged off for the night. Did you still have additional questions on this?

I was unable to respond to you via the msgs you sent to my cell phone ... So next week I'm cutting 3 3/4 inch pieces of meranti plywood to create a new transom. In 1971 the transom for a Grady White Sportsman was 1.5 inches thick ... 20 inches from the bottom to the top of the transom and the opening for the outboard is 52 inches which left the option of hanging 2 engines or one ... now the problem with having such a large opening is that when you cut the power a wave of water hits the transom and enters into the boat. So to prevent this I wish to close in the opening from 52 inches to an unknown number of inches that would depend on what the 150 HP Evinnrude E-Tec requires to turn and raise/lower. I can not find any number on the Evinrude website to give me a clue on minimum requirements. So I'm increasing the thickness to 2.5 inches and raising the transom to 25 inches but don't know how wide to make the opening for the engine.Bill

Hi Bill. What you want to keep in mind is 3 3/4 is going to be to thick. Max transom thickness is 2 3/4 inches from the outer fiberglass skin to the inner fiberglass skin. Any thicker and the top of the outboards clamp bracket isn't going to clear the transom. On your width. I am attaching the installation instructions from the factory service manual. It will cover how to measure the transom in order to properly mount the outboards, as well as cover the minimum space needed between the outboards. This attachment will be at the bottom of this response as a link you can click on in order to save/print at home. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic