Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2000 outboard. When I turn the ignition key to on…

Hello I have a 2000 outboard...
Hello
I have a 2000 outboard Johnson. When I turn the ignition key to on it beeps (a signal would sound off second). It seems now that it is stuck on. Even after starting it remains. At first I thought it was an alarm for something. But it cannot be over heated immediately and the oil pressure gauge looks good. I’m thinking this ingnitiin alarm is stuck. Would you know how to guide me to track this down?
2/11/2018
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, what is the engine number of your engine please?

Model number?

O​n the bracket there should be a sticker. It should say something like J90VLSSE or other combination but have 90 in it.

Ok Tks for the replies. I will check it out tomorrow when I have some daylight and get back to you

Sounds good.

J90PL4ST

O​kay, that is actually a 2003 4 stroke. Do you also have a light coming on on the gauge package?

Just the gauge lights that normally come on when starting then they go right off. Now the alarm goes off once it starts
Now it’s back to staying on again. It seems to me that the ignition alert is sticking
After doing more searching and reading, it could be a low oil alert.

It could be a low oil alert and it could be a shorted heat sensor, either one should turn a light on in the gauge pack though.

No lights are showing. I have tried sending a video so you can see and hear what’s happening but it won’t send. I will try to work on it more tmrrw. It has rained here all day today. It’s also difficult because the boat is on a lift over water and I have a bad back. Will make some adjustments tmrrw to get into it more
Oil is full.

Did you find anything else out?

No sir. There is no gauge lights. The oil isn’t low. It’s not hot for sure. I don’t know how to check for a shorted heat sensor.

The heat sensor is about midway on the right side of the block. If you unplug it and the beep stops, that is the problem. But if it was bad I think you would have a light also, indicating you may have a short in the ECM.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast