Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I am considering buying a 2008 used pontoon with a Yamaha…

I am considering buying...

I am considering buying a 2008 used pontoon with a Yamaha 115 hp. My question is it has 500 hours. Is that considered a lot of hours on that motor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The boat is in good shape. Needs to be cleaned. Owner is asking $15,000.00

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not that I know of.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/21/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you know if it is a 2 or a 4 stroke engine? Do you know if it is a fresh or saltwater used engine?

It looks like you read my response, are you still here?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It is a four stroke engine. Fresh water.

G​ot it. On any marine engine it's overall life is determined by 4 things. 1. Saltwater exposure, which causes engine rot. 2. Simple wear and tear. 3. Damage caused by overheating or being run low on oil. 4. Owner maintenance. On saltwater used engines they will typically rot out before wearing out. In terms of the actual hours. If the engine is well maintained, it will easily go 2500 to 3000 hours before it is actually worn out in terms of wear and tear. On these engines, the engines computer will keep a log of not only engine hours, but also how many hours are spent at each RPM. For example, there is going to be a difference in engine life on an engine that spends most of it's time at low to medium RPMS compared to an engine that spends it's time at 5000+ RPMS all of the time. The other thing the engines computer keeps track of is if the engine has every overheated or had low oil pressure alarms. This is permanently stored in the computer and it can not be erased. The 500 hours is not a lot by any stretch of the means. But I would definitely have somebody come out and do things like check the compression, check the lower unit gear oil. Check the trim oil. And hook up the scan tool to the engine. If the engine history looks clean and there is no real history of overheats or low oil pressure, then you are in good shape. If the engine has overheated or had low oil pressure a 1/2 a dozen times or so, then that would be a cause for concern. Does that all make sense. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do have one further question. How do you rate the Yamaha engine?

The 115's are great engines. They have no history of defects or problems.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic