Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 in my Azure 220. I turn the key to…

I have a Volvo...

I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 in my Azure 220

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I turn the key to the run position and it beeps twic like normal. When I go to crank, the starter seems to turn over but does not engage. Is it because the battery is low and does have enough cranking amps?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I am charging the battery now, it has not run in about 5 months

1/20/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Yes it's very possible. What is the model number on your engine? Do you have a hand held volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurement?

I will get that for you, I do have a Fluke and can measure the voltage. It reads just above 10 Volts on the dashboard voltmeter
My name is Jim

Hi Jim. It doesn't really matter what the dash reads, it matters what the battery reads. Do this for me. Set your meter to DC. Connect it to the battery. Hold the key to start, and see what the voltage reads. When you do this, make sure that your battery charger is not hooked up, as that will skew the readings. Are you near the boat now to do this?

5.0 GXi-G
I can go outside and do it, hang on

Okay got the model. Okay I will be here.

Make sure you disconnect the charger first.

How did you make out?

Crap, Fluke is dead... need to get 9Volt battery for it.... sorry

Okay just reply back when you have a result and we will take it from there

I know what I need to do.... I can run to the store, replace battery in fluke and measure DC voltage on boat battery
Ok

Okay let me know how you make out.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

I am here, are you able to reply back to this question?

12.7 volts
Drops to 11.4 volts when I go to crank, starter still seems not to engage

When you did your measurement did you disconnect the battery charger first?

disconnected

Got it. Is there any kind of battery switch installed on the boat, or does the battery connect directly to the engine?

there is a battery disconnect switch, I had it closed

Okay there are 2 more tests to do.

1. Leave the meter negative lead hooked up to battery negative. Move meter positive over to the starter motor, where the positive battery cable connects at the starter itself. Turn the key to start and take a reading with the key held to start. The voltage needs to be 9.5V or better. Let me know if you are 9.5V or higher, or less than 9.5.

2. If you are over 9.5V. Get a jumper cable, a standard automotive jumper cable. Connect 1 end to battery negative, and the other end to any spot on the engine block that is clean and free of paint. What you are doing here is adding another ground in order to see if you have a bad ground cable connection on the engine. Let me know how you make out.