Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I just bought a merc outboard.told it was a 9 1/2 h.p I

would like to know h.p...
I just bought a merc outboard.told it was a 9 1/2 h.p I would like to know h.p size and year serial #is(###) ###-#### Also I can only find drain plug on lower unit where is upper plug to tell how much gear lube is in it
1/20/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

For the gear case, the vent screw is very small, it is located up near the cavitation late on the case. It is part 38 in the diagram.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/9.8/5206550%20AND%20UP/GEAR%20HOUSING%20%28PROPELLER%20SHAFT%29/parts.html

Im looking up the year now.

From what I can see, the engine is a 1985 9.8HP.

It holds 3.5 oz of gear oil. One of the small squeeze bottles of gear oil will take care of it.

Did you have any other questions?

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
no thats what I needed to know about it for now hope it starts and runs in late march when I hit the lakes to start fishing

Have fun out there.