Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I’ve got fuel leaking out of the pipe leading to a bauble at…

I’ve got fuel leaking...

I’ve got fuel leaking out of the pipe leading to a bauble at the bottom of the cowling?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

It’s a pipe from the top of the fuel, the silver shaped tank in the side of the motor, it houses the pump. The pipe leads to what looks like a vaulve?

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What is the make and model of your engine?

Mercury 60hp standard
4 stroke

Thanks. Has the engine been sitting unused for some time?

It was working fine but just over the past two months it’s been in storage. It was working fine but now when I start it I have wateriuf of the tell tail and fuel from under the cowling. Appears to be a pipe fittest from the file system to the cowling

The fuel is coming from the VST, that silver tank, on the engine. What it is telling you is that either the boat tank is pressurized and overridding the float, or that the needle is sticking in the VST. As a test, you can open the fuel tank cap and see if there is pressure inside the tank, if so, you will need to check the vent on it to make sure that it is clear.

If it is not the tank, then the VST will need to be opened up and cleaned with the needle being replaced.

If you have the serial number or year of the engine, I can get you a diagram of it.

right so mabe a build up of pressure from storage or an internal needle? Understand? It has been in very hot conditions, if I open the fuel cap and get a release of fumes that could be it? I’ll try that first before I pull the VST apart. Thanks

Yes that is correct. I would lean more toward the needle though.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic