Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have aHDS5x in the ice bag it it will not power up. Have…

I have aHDS5x in...

I have aHDS5x in the ice bag it it will not power up

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

Have aHDS5x in a PPP-18i and it will not power up lights flicker

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?

Everything is new

1/19/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Have you already verified that all of the connections to the batteries and the one on the back on the unit are clean and tight?

OK, lets try and run a reset on the unit to see it it will boot up. With the unit off, press and hold the Pages key, then press and release the power button. Release all keys when the map of the USA appears.

there is only 1 batt. there and still just flickers then off
still will not power up
are you still there?

Do you also have the HDS adapter kit along with the PPi?

Also, have you fully charged the battery in the PPI fully?

Did you already do the soft reset?

but cannot find how to hook it up and batt is fully charged
it is fully charged

Which power cable are you using?

1 that came with the PPI

OK, Just to verify on the battery, the red lead from the power cable goes to the positive post. Is this how you have it?

You also may need to switch to the one for the HDS. I can guide you through it.

ok

On the new power cord, red to positive on the battery, and the black to Negative. The yellow is not used.

When you go to connect it to the back of the unit, you will need to slowly turn the connector until it aligns up with the pins, then it will slide in.

done
same thing not powering up lights flicker

Do you happen to have a multimeter?

I do

Test the power on the battery. Make sure that it is at least 10V DC.

pegs the neddle

Are you on a scale of at least 20V DC?

was on 10V

Ok, can you test the voltage when you turn the unit on? I need to know if it is falling off to below 10 or not.

drops to 6 on the 10 scale

There it is, either the battery is bad, or it is just not fully charged. I would recommend that you charge it for at least overnight, then the next day try to power the unit up. If it will still not power up, and the voltage is still dropping off, it is a bad battery. Since this is new stuff, you can call Lowrance at

1(###) ###-#### tell them that you have a bad battery and they will either want you to send it in or they will send you a new one.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
ok thank you for your time

Your very welcome.